1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

newbie bass shopping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dude_, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dude_

dude_

Jun 9, 2007
    Hello Fellas,

This summer im going to take some bass lessons to learn how to play. I have no previous experience on basses or guitars so i would be grateful if you suggest me some basses and amplifiers...

i was thinking about this http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_mex_stdpbass_white.htm

Thanks in advance :bassist:

EDIT: i thinking about spending around 600-650 E for bass and ampfilier

2. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    in my opinion the fender mex p is a nice choice.
    fender is a great way to start and the mexicans today almost have the same quality like the american one's - if not better! (someone please correct me if im wrong) - at least its like this with the fender jazz basses.

the jazz bass is very versatile but the p-bass gives u this nice punchy sound. listen to some motown stuff (james jamerson, stevie wonder, al green, jackson 5, marvin gaye, the funk brothers - just check out youtube) stuff like that. the p-bass was used exclusively by james jamerson, if u ask me, he's the master of that p-bass-guitar.

amp-wise u will have to ask the other tb-ers. i dont know too much about it.

have fun playing the bass - and great idea to get a teacher in the beginning ;)

ps: here i got something for you. james jamerson playing his p-bass ;)

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think you've made a great choice - I personally believe the Mexican made Fender is the best starter bass you can get. I would check out both jazz and precision basses if you get the chance (I like jazzes personally as I find them to be more flexible, like the body styling and feel of the neck better). Either one is great, though. They hold resale value fairly well (especially if you can buy used in the first place) assuming you do not stick with it. If you do stick with it, it is pretty easy to upgrade with new hardware and electronics.

At the price you listed, that doesn't really give you much room to buy an amp though. I find with amps that you should get as many watts as possible I believe Peavey TNT amps are a great starter. I also like the Ampeg B series combos.

My recommendation - buy used and you may be able to score both and stick to your budget.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    You will may not have enough money to get a great bass and an amp with much power-I recommend you buy used if at all possible, and put most of your money into the bass. The safest bet is a used Mexican Fender Jazz, because it's versatile, holds its' value and you'll probably always have a use for it in the future. Then get a combo amp with as much wattage as you can with the money left over.

5. dude_

dude_

Jun 9, 2007
    So Jackwhite you suggest me something like this ? http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_deluxe_pbass_special_mn_bk.htm

amp-wise i dont care about the loudness and the power,
    i care about the quality of sound and im thinking to buy a great bass and a not-so-good amp
    for start and later buy a great amp.

Thanks for the replies :bassist:

PS:Great video

6. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    Having never played either bass or guitar, it will be awhile before you will be playing with others, maybe you & another new guitar player or keyboard playing together, but not likely a full band setting, for awhile at least. I would get the Fender MIM P you posted, or possibly this one:
    http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_mexjazzbs_ebass.htm
    You can get a small practice amp, or even just plug the bass into your PC's sound card for amplification. Just my 2 cents.

7. dude_

dude_

Jun 9, 2007
    yea im not planning to play with others...:p

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021