Newbie Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mooke, Jun 14, 2001.

1. mooke

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm just starting out and looking to spend under $400 on a bass. It'll be used to play mostly jam-orientated/improv music. I'm wondering whether to go with a 4 or 5 string. What are advantages, etc? Any advice would be appreciated. I've been looking at Gibson, Ibanez, etc.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't look at brands, look at used, by all means. I had to own three new, hunk of junk, basses before it dawned on me that I could get a much better bass for the same money if I did some legwork, ( I couldn't netsurf in 1970) and checked out used.

Just close your eyes to brands and open your ears to what they sound like. Equally important is getting one that just feels comfortable for you to play.

If you go into a store and try some out, try to have them plug you into an amp that may be similar to what you will be getting, not a $3000 rig. (They will do that sometimes). A lot of bad sounding basses sound passably decent through a high-end amp.
  3. I'm going to go against convensional wisdom here, and say just buy a cheap crappy bass. That's what I did on bass, and on guitar. My first guitar was an acoustic, complete crap, and the neck snapped in two. But I learned on it, good enough. Then my dad bought me a better, still crappy acoustic, but good enough for me because I was only 11, it's not like I gigged or anything. It wasn't until my fourth guitar that I got a MIM Fender Strat, which is still by many people's standards a beginer guitar. My first bass was a Squire, then a Yamaha RBX260, and I'm saving for a MIM Fender Jazz, which is considered by some a beginner bass. If I was you, I'd get something cheap and use the difference to buy lessons. It's better to play a crappy bass well than it is to have a really nice one and not know what to do with it.