newbie bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _00Zero, Jan 18, 2002.

1. _00Zero

Jan 12, 2002
    USA. Pennsylvania
    Im want to play the bass and im looking at basses to buy. I would like something that sounds good is durable,will last, and is not more than $350. I was looking towards the ESP B-104 i hears it was nice and not too expensive but I know nothing more and sugestions are welcome.
    Any other suggestions or is theB-104 good?
  2. Hello and welcome to Talk Bass.... the "I'm starting what bass should I get" has been done many times, do a search.... anyway its basically come down to different people saying getting one of the following... Squier or MIM P, MIM J, OLP MM4, or Ibanez GSR200.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends a lot on what kind of music you intend to play. Rock? Punk? Jazz? Blues? ect.

But, for 300, or less, if you shop beyond Musicians Friend, you can get into either a Fender Standard Precision (aka the P bass) or a Standard Jazz (aka the J bass). These are made in Mexico (henceforth MIM). I'm not hip on Fender, but I can tell you the truth about them: the P and J bass are the measuring sticks by which all basses are measured. They are some of the most versitile, most played, and most reliable basses on the market. Now, the MIM basses are every bit as good as any medium priced bass out there.
    Want a heavy, thick sound? go P. More growl, and more bite? Go J. If nothing else, you can gauge nearly any bass off of your experiences with these basses.

They also hold up well in the resale deparment, and are enough of a workhorse to upgrade the parts, should you be so inclined.

I know it sounds like I'm drooling over these things...I'm not, I don't like 'em myself, but they are the most played for a reason. They are about as good a start as you can possibly get.

And thats about it....
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search, you will come up with many results.

With that said, I am going to recommend an MIM Fender, either a Jazz or Precision, your choice.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    DeArmond Pilot Deluxe, 4 or 5 string versions. They're sposed to be about £600-750 I think about $1000 and they're selling them for about £300. They're good basses, high quality, but cheap cos they no longer exist...
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    MIM Fenders. the ESP your looking at isnt to bad either.
  8. The Standard verision are much more suited towards newer players. Not active, but they sound GREAT.

Rock on
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If you have a musicians friend catolog you'll notice you can get a 5 string Ibanez SR405 for $300 plus shipping.

Im not a big fan of the Sr series but for $300 they are a very good bass. I myself would go with either an MIM Fender Jazz or The Ibanez SR405 in Musicians Friend.

Both are decent basses for the price, they just have 2 totally different and distinct sounds. And both have 2 totally different feels. The neck on the ibanez sr405 is very thin for a 5er and has a narrower string spacing.

FWIW, i think the fender j's are more versatile than the ibanez and have an overall more rounded tone.

But for $300 you'd be getting a five string if you went with the ibanez, and only a 4 with the fender. So Id probably go with the ibanez in this particular senario just because your getting a 5 string at a great price. And can do more on them than you can a 4.

They also have 4 string Yamaha's for $300 in M.F. too. These arent too bad either, but again, Id rather go for the 5 string because it seems like a better buy in the long run.

Happy Hunting.
  10. I'll second the recommendation for the Ibanez SR405. I own one, and it plays and sounds great for the money paid.

Another suggestion would be the Dean Edge series basses. About a year ago I purchased a Edge Q5. It is a 5 string with a Ruby Red Quilted Maple top, EMG pick-ups, and an active pre-amp. It was not too much over $300.