Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie bassist needs help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medic, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Medic

Medic

Sep 25, 2004
    Ok, so I got a silver tone bass starter kit, Ive been practicing a few hrs every day for the past 3 weeks. Bass is the first instrument ive ever tried. Everytime press the the strings with my left hand the bass rings a bit, I guess its from the strings hitting the fretts, anyway to stop this? My friends who play keep saying that I just need to practice and it goes away, but for some reason it just gets worse as I practice. Im a guitar newb so please no big tech terms

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    If you could explain what you mean by rings, it would help. Do you mean buzz? It could be how the bass is set up with the string height and neck bow. It may also be where you are fretting. Try taking it to a well experienced player who knows about set up and have them check the action. Also, practice getting a clean note every time you fret. Most first timers make buzzing noises when they start playing. It takes time to figure out where to fret and how to pluck or pick without getting extra noise. Don't fret too close to the fret or it will buzz. Use a light touch with your right hand and don't slap at the strings or pull away from the body with your finger tips.

Good luck and keep practicing. :bassist:

3. hey Medic,

welcome to the wild and weird world of bass!

I'd second waxcomb's recommendations with a couple of additions:

first, you can usually bring the bass back to the shop where you got it and they'll do the set up for free.

second, I'd advise taking at least one lesson from an experienced player on how to hold the instrument and how to strike the strings. he or she will probably also give you some exercises to get your hands used to all the new movements they are doing.

you can check this site for teachers in your area:

Bass Lessons Online

aside from that, I think you've made a great decision in joining TalkBass! look around and check out some of the other bass forums, too. you'll find all kinds of interesting things at each one!

if you want web addresses on some of those you can email or PM me.

take care, stay well, and keep working on things -- the world needs more bass players!

from the lows,

Stew