Newbie bought dodgy bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riser, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    Hi everyone,
    I've just bought my first bass (from ebay) after playing 6-strings and producing for many years. It's a Samick, and think It's a Fairlane although it doesn't say anywhere on the instrument.
    Problem is it makes a terrible hissing sound half the time with the occassional crackle, particularly if the nob closest to the bridge or the jack are bumped/touched. About a quarter of the time it's fine. I've tried it with with lots of leads and systems but it's definitely the instrument. Is this easy to fix or have I been ripped off? This is my first problem with Ebay after buying tons of gear off there.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Open the cavity, I'd bet it's a bad solder on a wire... easy cheap fix!

3. Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    I opened it up and , wonders never cease, there was a big wad of chewing gum holding the wire to the (master gain?) pot. I soldered that one on but it still hisses. All the others look ok. Know where i can get diagrams for Samick? maybe i should visit the site....
  4. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Was there any insulation in there? Insulation might help too.
  5. Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    Does hubba-bubba count ;) No insulation at all, but I've re-soldered another wire and it is gradually getting better. What type of insulation and how do you use it? Sorry if this is old news but i'm no guitar-tech. Could also someone explain to me the difference between active/passive pickups and what does the Fairlane have? Again, pity the Newbie, I've been in the synth realm for years! I just wanna play bass, sob, i love it