Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie bought dodgy bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riser, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Riser

Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    Hi everyone,
    I've just bought my first bass (from ebay) after playing 6-strings and producing for many years. It's a Samick, and think It's a Fairlane although it doesn't say anywhere on the instrument.
    Problem is it makes a terrible hissing sound half the time with the occassional crackle, particularly if the nob closest to the bridge or the jack are bumped/touched. About a quarter of the time it's fine. I've tried it with with lots of leads and systems but it's definitely the instrument. Is this easy to fix or have I been ripped off? This is my first problem with Ebay after buying tons of gear off there.
    Cheers.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Open the cavity, I'd bet it's a bad solder on a wire... easy cheap fix!

-Ray

3. Riser

Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    I opened it up and , wonders never cease, there was a big wad of chewing gum holding the wire to the (master gain?) pot. I soldered that one on but it still hisses. All the others look ok. Know where i can get diagrams for Samick? maybe i should visit the site....

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Was there any insulation in there? Insulation might help too.

5. Riser

Riser

Aug 10, 2005
    Does hubba-bubba count ;) No insulation at all, but I've re-soldered another wire and it is gradually getting better. What type of insulation and how do you use it? Sorry if this is old news but i'm no guitar-tech. Could also someone explain to me the difference between active/passive pickups and what does the Fairlane have? Again, pity the Newbie, I've been in the synth realm for years! I just wanna play bass, sob, i love it