Newbie "bow" quiestion

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by kik4adog, Jul 26, 2002.

1. kik4adog

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm VERY new to playing double bass with a bow.In fact, I just got my first bow today.
    And I have a few questions.
    One being...When I'm applying the rosin, is there any certain way to put it on.Or a certain amount to put on or anything like that?Or do I just wipe it on as needed?

Also...I have some questions as far as playing with a bow in general.I am going "self-taught" for the time being.Are there any beginners pointers that anyone could give me?
    Or any web sites that have good advice for holding the bow or playing or wrist/hand position or anything like that?

I appreciate any and all input.
    Thank you
  2. Draw the bow across the rosin in one direction only, from the frog (your hand) to the tip. How much is learned by trial and error. Most beginners use too much, because that makes it easier to get the string started, at the expense of tone. There is no harm, but you will have to clean off all the piled up rosin.
    I can't begin to tell you the risk you're taking to learn arco without a teacher. The inevitable bad habits will become ingrained and more difficult to unlearn.
  3. Being new to the bow too (I went a year learning on my own) I recomend getting a teacher ASAP, in the 2 months of studying arco with a teacher my bowing has gotten better than the year and a half with out a teacher. There seem to be so many things about arco that you won't begin to understand without a teacher to guide you. I thought that getting a tone wass all there is, but now I am starting to get a large tone with the bow and it is almost even on all strings. Get a teacher, you will not regret it!
  4. I say do what ever you have to do to find a teacher. Invaluable. The longer I play the more I become aware that a teacher is priority.

In the mean time I suggest ala Ray Parker get a full length mirror to watch yourself while playing.