1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Chick From CA Central Coast

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by CAbassChick, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Hi everyone!
    I want to introduce myself since I just joined TalkBass. I'm an inexperienced player, having only picked up the electric bass about a year and a half ago, but I played other instruments when i was growing up and I've done some singing both lead and back up work. I love learning about the instrument and all of the gear that's out there and I frequent places where there's live music so I can listen/watch and then talk to the bass player when the band's taking a break and check out what kind of gear he/she has... :hyper:
    Yes, I'm obsessed!

I'm in the middle of modifying a Squire Affinity that I bought off a guy for $100 in perfect condition, by removing the frets (what to back fill the grooves up with?) and I'm replacing the pickups as soon as I decide whether to go with the DiMarzios, Duncans or Fenders... the quest which brought me here in the first place.
    Oh! I bought the Fender B-DEC 30 a couple of months ago and am loving playing around with it. Very cool.
    Looking forward to interacting with other bassists out there and learning as much as I can!

Thanks!
    J in Pismo Beach, CA

2. Hi BassChick. Welcome to TB. I love the Central Coast, used to spend a lot of time in Morro and Cayucos.

3. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Bass Chick. Sounds like you are building out a Fretless? What Fretless players do you like to listen too?

4. Hi and thank you for the welcome! The Central Coast is great isn't it? Come visit the area again soon!

I don't really have any fretless influences unless you count Jack Bruce- I think he only plays fretless once in a while.

Truth be told, since I'm still learning, my playing style is still a bit sloppy and I hate fret buzz! I've messed around with fretless basses before at GC and other places (with fret markers) and really liked it! I'm a massage therapist by trade and I've been playing with flatwounds on my Yamaha for some time now because I need to keep my fingers relatively callous free. So, I figured that since I'm already playing with flatwounds, (no pick) and I hate fret buzz, having a fretless to add to my collection was a good idea. Any suggestions on what to put in place of the frets I just removed to fill up the holes? I'm shying away from wood putty/epoxy type stuff because over time, I'm afraid that it might wear off in pieces. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne