newbie?: decent practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lotophage, Oct 1, 2001.

1. I'm planning on purchasing a fretless sometime in the near future and want a basic practice amp to use with it. I don't need raw power or effects, but want something decent and reliable with good tone production. Any suggestions? I'm an upright classical player with no jazz/pop experience, but I'm trying to branch out.

-Chris Dove
  2. Also, it was suggested to me in a previous thread to look at the basses in the subject. Any further wisdom regarding those choices? Do certain basses go better with certain amps?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  3. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Ibanez BZ-10
    its only a 10 watt amp so dont expect to use it around guitar amps or drum sets but it runs bout 100 dollars and is great for jus sittin on your bed and iz powerful enough to piss off the neighbors though
    BTW welcome to Talkbass
  4. 10 watts powerful enough to piss off the neighbors? they must be geriatric AND own whisper 2000.........

Oh and a price range would be nice to help you out....
  5. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I live in an 8 House complex that is only seperated by a 4inch concrete wall
    but i have recived complaints from the family 4 doors down from me so.....
    and if they did own whisper 2000 i wouldnt be those old people are crabby
  6. Well, price range is difficult because I don't know what would be reasonable. I'm more concerned about not buying crap than I am about the price. Tentatively, I'd say ~$100-$200.

Thanks again,

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas

I have a little Peavey Minx 110 that I bought used out of a pawn shop for $40. I see them used for $100 or less all the time. Great sounding little amp that also has a headphone jack so you don't have to worry about your neighbors at all!

8. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Also have a look at the Peavey Microbass, 20 watts, has a headphone jack, and a nice sound. Built like a tank too.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey Microbass and Minx are great little practice amps, they aren't loud enough for rehearsing with other musicians, but sound more like a real bass amp than other small amps.

My personal favorite is the Fender Bassman 25. It's got a 10" driver and 25 watts, and is much louder than most low powered amps I have tried. It also handles the low frequencies very well. I play 5 and 6 stringers, and the Fender handles the low B very nicely.

I have actually used the Bassman 25 at church fellowship meetings, with a quiet drummer, piano, organ and guitar(without distortion) and had no problems being heard in an auditorium that seats 200 people.

The Fender is a little more than you were talking about spending. It is $269 at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.
  10. Thanks all for the valuable information! This forum is quite a luxury...
  11. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Another vote for the Bassman 25.

Unbelievable sound for small 25w combo. Has a headphone jack, tuner out, effects loop, line out & external spkr out. Plus with it's tiltback design, you could use it as a monitor onstage at larger gigs.

- Frank
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think they make them anymore....

But I am blissfully happy with my Trace Elliot Boxer 30. I use it for church and it is all I need. Also, I use it in my trio with my brother (guitar) and a drummer. We play quiet and it is sufficient, even for the low "B" of my Dean fretless 5 string! A great amp. I bought mine before the Gibson buy-out of Trace Elliot so I don't know what the company's products are like now.
  13. If you can go as high as $280, you might want to look at the Carvin PB100-10. It is small and light. Good for practice but at 100 watts, you can use it for performance also. Good starter amp.