1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newbie doubt on pedal knobs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Strikebass, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Please don't be too rough on me but I want to ask you about this

On some pedals I've found knobs with "EQ" or "Clear" or "Low - high end" underneath them.

I get that EQ is the regulation of low and treble (in a basshead, for example) but what does it do in a pedal? And the other two?

thanks in advance

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Same.

3. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Ok so the "easter" I go the more high tone I get right?

what about clear and low end?

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Have you got some examples of the pedals you've seen?

5. Tone controls are very common on preamp, overdrive and distortion pedals to allow us to shape the tone for our own liking. Sometimes it is a simple treble roll off like on a passive bass but more often we are seeing bass and treble controls and in some cases even mid-range controls.
    Tone controls are also making their way onto modulation and even delay pedals.

We are also seeing many pedals with blend functions that allow us to mix between clean and effected sounds, most common on bass specific pedals but those controls can be just as effective on voice, guitar and other instruments.

6. Are you sure that it says 'clear', and not 'clean'? Clean should be the clean blend that brad mentioned...mixing your clean (unaffected by the pedal) tone with the pedal's altered tone.