newbie effect questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by linebacker51, Oct 11, 2002.

1. im pretty new to bass and have absolutley no experience with effects other than what i have seen a friend who play guitar using. He was using a footswitch and a crybaby.

I have been looking at some pedals and such on online stores and have noticed many effect that i've got no clue what they would do.

~synth bass

any help or description is greatly appreciated

2. if you dont know what they do, then you dont need them

Compression is useful when you have sound peaks *can be caused by bad technique* it levels everything out.

You dont "need" the rest of the aformentioned effects
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You can listen to a lot of effects pedals at ("Interactive" section, "Compact pedal demo"), that might help you get a feel for what the different effects do.
  4. Stay away from synths if you've just started... Learn how to play the bass as a bass then go on to warping its sound around.
  5. And as for what they do...

Flangers and choruses use short delay to modulate a signal, flangers use a shorter delay than choruses but have a longer sweep that isn't as smooth as a chorus. It's good for getting hallow or swelling orcestral effects.

A compressor is like a volume leveling device... it takes the signal then divides it up and compresses it into one signal which is called a ratio. Just like the name says... Lower ratios are in the range of compression, higher ones are when harsher limiting occures. This effect can make louder volumes softer and softer volumes louder no mater how hard you play.

Octaves take a fundamental frequency... then devides it to double the fundamental octave.

A synthesizer uses pitch and wave shapers to adjust the bass' natural voice... you can do this with a distortion and octave. Usually and you would follow them with a filter to get an even more inorganic sound.
  6. As Bigfeet stated,if you are a newer player then the multitude of effects will only get in the way of your learning and playing.That said...they can be fun to mess around with. :p

My Crate BFX50 has like 9(?)onboard effects on her and I never even use them.

The only effect I could see myself purchasing would be a high quality bass wah pedal(ala Dunlop Crybaby).

I think if you do a search in the Effects forum you will find some good descriptions of the differing effects.Hope that helps. :)
  7. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I certainly wouldn't spend much money on effects until you've been playing for a while and know what
    sound you want. Considering you probably won't like what you get after a while, I would suggest
    picking up a used POS, cheap multi-effect like the Zoom 506II. Can be had for $40 or $50 used.
    You'll get to hear all the types of effects, and you won't have wasted your money when you toss it
    for better units.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I would also say that playing bass 'dry' is a good thing to do. However we all like toyz so have a gander at theres a lot of sound samples as well