1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie from Scotland

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dmccombe7, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi guys just thought i would say Hello from over here in Scotland. Only just joined yesterday after friends on UK website Basschat suggested having a look when i mentioned i was interested in what people thought about Mesa gear. Have to admit i'm hugely impressed by number of members and variation in subjects discussed. Its a lot to take in :nailbiting:
    Been playing since around 76 mainly in rock and prog bands with occasional drifts into blues and funk bands. Had a few years of doing the jazz / rock thing in late 70's / early 80's.
    Due to start rehearsals this week with a new classic rock band and in past few days also asked if i would be interested in joining a Glam Rock band but that's early days yet.
    Had lots of different gear over the years from Fender, WAL, Shergold twin neck, Aria, Ibanez, Yamaha thru to my current line up of Fender Jazz, Precision Deluxe, Overwater custom 6 fretless, Overwater J4, Jaydee fretless, Warwick Thumb NT 89, Peavey and Dingwall NG2.
    Looking forward to checking out the rest of the site and having some interesting chat with you guys.
    Still finding my way around the site and not sure if this is the right place to post an introduction so my apologies if its wrong.
    Dave

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Welcome to TB!

I've lurked on Basschat a bit. Good to see international members.

With your experience, looks like you can contribute lot of good info.

Tons of great, knowledgeable people here!

Cheers! Oh, sorry...that's from that other place.:woot::smug::laugh:

murphy likes this.
  3. Welcome to talkbass :)

Mesa gear is some pretty well made stuff, you can ask about it in the amps and cabs section - one guy on here actually designs stuff for them, so don't be too surprised if you start a thread and it comes up. There's also a search function, which you can use to search for older posts or threads of a similar topic.

There are rules and stuff, e.g. "what is this thing worth" is relegated to supporting members who have paid for membership, but other than that it's all pretty basic stuff that relates to being nice to people.

dmccombe7 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Howdy Dave! Welcome.
    I don't play the bass at this point in my life, but I do have a Melrose Sevens beanie a former TB member sent to me years ago. I was just wearing it last week.

There is a new member forum. It's here:
    Welcome Forum - New Member Intros

-Mike

dmccombe7 likes this.
  5. Welcome to TB. I am about 4 hours drive from where your Dingwall was born.
    Where is Biggar located in Scotland? We also have a Biggar here in Saskatchewan.
    What is your handicap? ;)

6. Rules look pretty similar to UK site. TB has been running a lot longer tho.
    Dave

pie_man_25 likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

Glad to have you.

The only possible downside of Mesa gear I can see for you is getting service work done over there.

Our own @agedhorse is actually a design engineer for them. I have no idea if there are authorized service techs over there. He might know.

What rig are you looking at?

8. I'm hoping that buying Mesa gear i shouldn't need a repair service but i believe there are dealers in Glasgow and looks like a repair centre near Glasgow too. I've heard that Mesa repairs can be pretty expensive tho.
    To be honest my interest was more about why people chose Mesa over other gear more so in UK where Mesa gear is hugely expensive. That sparked some GAS for a Mesa rig.
    Looks like it would be the D800+ with some combination of Subway cabs altho would need to try them first to see what i would prefer. Looking at the Mesa club forum a lot of people prefer to go for 2 15" cabs rather than 12 & 15 or 2off 12 cabs. There are stil a few Mesa fans that prefer the M6, M9 or Walkabout series tho so at the moment its mainly research then try them at Glasgow shop Guitar Guitar.

9. Biggar is approx 40miles South of Glasgow near Lanark.
    There's also a Hamilton 25miles from here and i've visited Hamilton in Canada while on holiday at Niagara and heading into Toronto for the day.
    Dingwall basses are fantastic basses altho its a 5 string i bought mainly for a Prog project where i needed the low B, Since moved on from that band so it doesn't get a lot of play these days as i prefer my 4 string Fenders to be honest. My goto bass is my Jazz.

murphy likes this.
  10. Just saw the handicap question but i'm not really a golfer to be honest. Lots of mates that are fanatics for it tho

11. Missed that when looking at front page of the Forum but i see it was just further down the page.

12. Is it possible to get this thread moved into the Welcome Forum. I didn't see that forum as didn't realise it was further down the page. Newbie error. Sorry guys.
    Dave

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think it is nice you popped in here...or I would have missed your intro

In UK I always used Trace gear.....Wouldn't Ashdown be the rig of choice...JJ Burnell. Mark King etc?

There are very good reports about Handbox, from Poland...from a few people in the amps section

Welcome to my go to time spender...much to the complaint of my spouse....and my practice time......

14. Awrite Dave, fellow Scot here (Edinburgh)
    Welcome aboard.
    :)

15. I've tried Ashdown and TE gear over the years. Ashdown just don't have any character and found them a bit mundane. Trace Gear i've tried to like but just don't get it. I currently have a small practice 150 head with a 210 cab. Only used it in a small rehearsal room where i was happy to leave it there between rehearsals but couldn't get a decent tone from it.
    The Handbox sounds great but not a lot of support in UK and needs to be ordered direct so i'm a little bit wary if no UK support. There's not a lot in them that a local repair shop couldn't handle tho.

murphy likes this.
  16. Nice one JohnDeereJack. Just along the road from me then, :laugh:
    Gotta ask about the name there. It has a tractor feel to it :)
    Dave

17. Ah, it's a nickname I got from a trip I had to Southern States - we stayed with friends in Lynchburg in Virginia. We traveled through Virginia's, Carolina's, Tennessee, Georgia and back to VA. At the start of the trip they presented me with a John Deere cap and a six pack of PBR and declared me an honorary redneck!
    It kinda grew on me so I've pretty much worn JD caps ever since.
    :)

18. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Fit like Dave!

19. Jings another Scot coming out the woodwork. Whereabouts you from Skybone or is the name a giveaway. ?

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Howdy Dave Welcome to TB. This ( talk bass: Off topic ) is the lighter side of bass life and discussions. Think of this as the pub. Enjoy! :D

dmccombe7 likes this.