Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TELEBOY, Nov 25, 2002.

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi all. i am new to this site and i have been reading these threads for a few days . this is one great forum site.i got the bug to get back into bass about 1 month ago after i scored a 1970 K100 KUSTOM TUCK & ROLL BASS AMP w/2x15's OFF EBAY for a song and a dance. I re tuck & rolled it in blue sparkle and replaced the speakers. now all i need is the bass guitar.this might sound weird but the sound i am looking for is like the sound of a stand up bass but from an electric bass. i recently tried out some basses at the local store and the one i liked the best was the fender jazz bass but the sound wasnt what i was looking for.i nguess i would have to go with other pickups as well and i like the black nylon wound flat strings. anyone know if there is such an animal out there. i will mostly be playing jazz.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I find that I am able to get that sound from my Jazz. I did it by using TI Flatwounds. That made a big difference. I almost wonder if a P-bass with flats would be even better for that sound.

In any case, welcome to Talkbass. I personally have found everyone here to be very helpful and intelligent with their answers.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I have a fretless with the aforementioned Thomastik-Infeld (TI) Jazz Flatwounds on, and I can get a sound pretty close to an upright (as far as bass guitars go, anyway). The fact of it being a fretless helps to make it sound more like an upright.

Presumably the Fender Jazz you tried had roundwound strings on it? Don't underestimate the difference flatwound strings will make. If you like the Fender Jazz, then I might suggest going for a (possibly fretless) Fender Jazz and put some TI Jazz Flat, or some such on it. Never having played a fretless Fender Jazz, I couldn't tell you from experience how it sounds, tho.

And fretlesses are really nice to play in my experience, I can really recommend trying one out.

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass :)
  4. Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    I played my Peavey Cirrus through a Peavey amp (sorry I don't remember the name) it had a selector switch that would call up all kindsa amp sounds and bass sounds. It had the upright sound in there. I don't remember how it sounded but theres an option.
    My Guitarist has a Peavey Cyber Twin that does the same thang for Guitar and it is amazing. He can dial up any sound from any amp guitar combonation.
    I have a Yamaha BB5000F 5 string Fretless forsale or trade.

Welcome to TB, Its good to have you aboard.
  5. Hey Teleboy, that's the spirit, you start playing that bass again. I have a Fretless Fender jazz bass (MIM) with Rotosound 77 flatwound strings on it and it produces a very convincing upright type sound especially when I play over the end of the neck. If I remember correctly, this bass won the award for best upright-like tone from a fretless electric in some comparison Bass Player magazine held a few years ago. I have yet to try the Thomastik Infield jazz flats, but, the Rotos really are pretty good. With a new going price of $400 new a MIM Fender is very hard to beat.

Welcome to Talkbass.

Get a fretless, you'll never regret it.

Mike J.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I used to have Rotos (I don't know which ones, the strings were on there when I bought it second hand from a friend) on my fretless before I switched to TIs. The TIs have a more upright like sound than the Rotos did. They also have lower tension, which is nice and comfortable to play and good for mwah. I recommend you give the TIs a go if you're looking for an upright like sound!

And, $400 for a new Fender Jazz? Geez, that's about £275. They're not that cheap over here. Tis a shame, y'know I could get basses a lot cheaper from the states (e.g. but I don't really wanna buy one I haven't played first.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    P bass P bass P bass... buy an older one (70's) they are built like tanks, will definitely let you achieve that tone and are nice to play- i know i had one for 25 years !:)
  8. Yeah Moley, that's pretty much the going price for a MIM Fender jazz bass, brand new, fretted or fretless. It's pretty much the same price at Sam Ash too. That's just the bass, no case. Check it out:

I definitely have to try those TIs though. So many people have said so many good things about them. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike J.
  9. Rats! I knew I forgot something. About not wanting to buy without trying: I used to think like that too until I couldn't find a Jack Casady bass to try out and got so frustrated, I just bought one online. I have absolutely no regrets about it. I figure the law of averages (that any given person will get a decent bass sent to them) will usually work in your favor. I bought two regular guitars this way too; no problems with any of them.

If you do get a lemon, just send it right back.

Mike J.

Nov 21, 2002
    thanks for all your input guys. it helped me out alot.AND NOW LET THE HUNT BEGIN. i just saw a really nice FENDER P BASS SPECIAL on it has the precission body with the jazz neck. candy apple red with gold annodized pickguard. for $489. comes with electronic tuner, gig bag,strap,cable and guitar stand and free shipping. OH NO !!!!! I FEEL MY CREDIT CARD COMMING OUT.
  11. i have a custom p-style fretless (maple board) with roto nylon wound strings on, really nice mellow upright like tone, and its got a low mass bridge, so theres hardly any sustain!
    u want an upright sound? fretless p with nylon wounds or flats!

good luck
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh well that's good to know. Presumably, if you send it back, though, they'll only refund you the price of the thing, not shipping - and obviously you'll have to pay shipping to send it back.

By the way, does anyone know how much shipping tends to be on musiciansfriend etc. when shipping guitars & basses to the UK?

I reckon it could be worth buying some things from the US, as even with shipping costs they'll be cheaper. There's this Fender Metronome/Tuner on musiciansfriend that's about $35 at the moment. The list price on the UK Fender site is about £70!!! So we're talking maybe £22-23 plus shipping from the US, and £70 over here. Blimey.