Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Has Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jun 4, 2002.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Howdy all!

I've only been playing for 2 months now on my straight from Indonesia Squier P-Bass, and I have a question or two to ask of you guys/gals.

How long did it take you guys/gals to start playing full songs? I mean the actual bass line of the song, vs. hunting down and playing chord roots / root-5ths. I'm not looking to do speed-metal, but songs like "What Is & What Should Never Be" by Zeppelin, and moving into Iron Maiden tunes as my skills progress.

How long did you wait before you replaced your first axe, and how far up the chain did you go? I played enough basses at Guitar Center to know that my Squier P is a piece of crap, but right now my skills are crap too.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

2. I was playing 2 or 3 months before i got through some old police tunes that were not too hard. as far as upgrading your squire, i would say that when you feel playing bass is something you won't give up on and you really KNOW its for you, then why not buy something you will enjoy for years to come. its true that a good quality bass wont make you sound great all of a sudden, however, i think that if your happy with the quality of your instrument then you will most likely feel better about practice and so on. i went from a used ibanez ATK300 to an american jazz after about 6 months. and im very happy i upgraded!

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Baby steps young grasshoper, baby steps :D That's the problem with a lot of people who get a new guitar/bass whatever. They try to jump in on their favorite rock bands right away.

I was playing a full song in about 2 weeks. You know why? Cause the song was Hang On Sloopy by the McCoys. A pretty easy song. I say, start on some easy songs like Hang On Sloopy (McCoys), Twist and Shout (Beatles), When I Come Around (Greenday) ect. Then after you start nailing those songs, it's time to progress to the Zep and Maiden songs you want to do.

I moved up from my beginner bass after about a year and a half. I started on a Fender Musicmaster, which, though isn't a pro bass, was a quality instrument. (my Dad started letting me play his Rickenbacker about half way through that year though, when I started playing in front of people and stuff) I then bought my first "pro" quality bass, and that was my Ibanez fretless.

4. Yes, baby steps is the way to start. If you try to play riffs that are too complicated then you are doomed for frustration. You like led Z? Try "Dazed And Confused". Try Deep Purple's "smoke on the Water" or some james jamerson stuff. Try stuff like "the Peter Gunn Theme".
    Playing with other musicians is a good way to jump start your skills, too.
    I started playing an Epiphone eb-4 and switched to an epiphone Rock Bass (jazz rip-off) after about a year. I still have the first epiphone for sentimental value. Soon after I got the second Epi I got a Fender P-bass 1960 reissue. I got it used but it cost less and sounded better than the Epi's. That all started about 13 years ago. Now I sit here typing while playing my Zon Legacy Elite 5.

~Ad

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks for the responses folks. I appreciate the feedback.

I only know one other guy who plays guitar, and we try to jam once a week. He's been playing for awhile, and we've managed to play a couple of tunes together so it's a positive thing.

Fretbuzz,

I found some bass lessons from a Steve Schmidt online, and he said to study the Police as well. Since I dig some of their music, I'm going to find some sheet music of their music to practice.

LiquidMidnight & Ad Nauseam,

Thanks for ideas on simple songs to learn. I guess that makes sense. Like the French foreign exchange student in "Better Off Dead" said, "Once you have a taste of success, I think you will find it suits you."

So I will try these tunes next.

I'm definitely hooked on playing bass. I love the low end of the sound spectrum, probably because it's more felt than heard, if that makes any sense. Almost like it comes up out of the ground and grabs you. :D

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. :)

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When I Come Around (IMO) is not and easy song to play for a beginner.

Ramones are easy, Blink 182 is easy, some Smashmouth is fairly simple.

As far as how long it took others to learn complete songs I would advise against coparing yourself to anyone other than yourself. See how long it takes YOU to learn a complete song, then see how you progress - what might take you a couple of weeks at first may take a day 6 months down the line.

I'd also hold out a while before dropping substantial money on a bass, unless of course you've got lots of money to throw around. When I stated playing bass I could tell that there were lots of basses on the market better than my original piece of crap, but it took me a while to start developing a syle and know the reall differences in sound and response of different basses. I settled in on a Music Man, but had to drop a chunk on a Warwick to find out I shouldda bought the MM from the getgo. Happpy to say I still own both, but the Warwick just sits around for the most part and I can't part with it cuz it was my first "real" bass. It's beautiful too :D .

7. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I have been playing for a little over a year now and I have not yet managed to play a single song. I have been working simultaniously on Enter Sandman by Metallica and Bullet in the Head by Rage Against the Machine for probably 10 month or so.
    But I am special case because I am a freakin' perfectionist. It's really annoying but I just need to get every little mezzo piano 8th staccato note just right or I don't feel comfortable. This slows me down immensely.