Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie - Help Practice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kalo, Jul 29, 2003.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    :) Hi,

I am new to this forum and about 3 months ago, I FELL in love with bass...I have picked up quickly, however, what I would like to know is about practice.....

I have two hours a night to practice and often practice before I go to work. I was wondering if someone can tell me how I can make my practice time more efficent...How should I practice...Here is what I normal do:

Major, Minor, 7th chord Arpeggio as well as Major and Minor, and Blues Scales.

Sight Reading

Sight Reading (I am learning how)

Learning songs by ear

Learning a Walking Jazz Baseline (sight Reading) to improve my sight reading skills as well as listening to the example on CD

Can anyone help me...Is this a good way to practice...I heard it's not how long one practices, but the quality of practice...However, I REALLY love to PRACTICE and would do so 24/7 if I could...Thanks in advance!!

2. What youre doing is a good start
    Add these to your list
    a) 10 mins on listening to intervals asc.desc.
    b) 10 mins on listening to chords
    Do this on a piano otherwise go to www.goodear.com
    c) 5 mins figuring out all the notes on your fretboard I mean ALL if you have disregard this
    d)10 mins of reading / singing the rhythm phrases of pieces of music If you want you can do this while listening to your cd collection to keep time this makes it alot of fun

This should help with your reading and learning to play by ear
    Hope this helps i know you have little time but if you did this routine with your routine as well everyday you'll see results

BTW 2 hours is good enough since you have other committments
    Good Luck