Newbie help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mant1s, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Mant1s

Jan 4, 2001
    Hi, im just starting and want to build my own bass guitar. The problem is i know how to build a regular electric guitar but i don't know the exact specification for the bass. I notice that the neck is longer but is there anyghing else, besides the strings ofcourse.

Thanx in advance.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    If you've built an EG, then you have the basics for a Bass. Typical measurements...

34" Scale
    1.5" to 1.75" Neck width at nut
    2.25" String spread at the bridge

Hope this helps...
  3. Mant1s

Jan 4, 2001
    Thanx that helped alot
  4. Mant1s

Jan 4, 2001
    Excuse my ignorance but i juxt came upon something while planning my bass design. i always thought that a bass have 4 strings but i saw one with 5? whats the different?
  5. Mant1s

Jan 4, 2001
    sorry, last question, i hope, how many frets??
  6. well... a 5-string bass has one extra string (duh!) :) that is usually lower than E and tuned to B but sometimes higher than G and tuned to C.

and the frets can vary from 21-28... I think it´s most common to have 24 frets :)

and I used to have a program to calculate fret spacing... I´ll try to find it.

good luck! :D
  7. ok... I couldn´t find the program on the internet... but I did find it on my computer...

if you´re interested I can e-mail it to you.. but it´s just a little less than 3 mb. so that´ll take some time for you to get.... :)
  8. Mant1s

Jan 4, 2001
    Thanx for responding it helped alot, and i know how to calculate frets spacing, thanx for the offer though