1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie here, be gentle.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by WrencherCB, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Hiya guys.. I've been lurking for a couple days and decided to register so I can ask some questions.

A little about myself- 44 Years old, auto mechanic by trade. Married, 3 kids, and I live in the Chicago area.

20 years ago, my ex-wife bought me a bass for Christmas. It was an Epiphone P-Bass style cheapie. I never really got good with it, just fumbled around and played with a couple music instructors I knew that liked my home-brewed beer I brought every time I came over. Anyway, I gave the guitar away to a co-worker so his teenage daughter could use it. I also got rid of my Crate amp I had. I traded it for the cylinder heads that are on my Mustang.

So, here I am, 15 years later, and I want to take it up again. I just bought my 11 year old daughter an acoustic guitar and she's taking lessons. I figured it would be something we can do together.

So, stupid question time. I've been reading all the "whats the best bang for the buck" type threads for basses and you guys seem to like the Yamaha and the SX basses.

My question (well, a statement and a question) I remember picking up a (I think) Fender Jazz bass once and really liked the skinny neck. Like I said, I'm a mechanic by trade and my hands and fingers are plenty strong, but my fingers arent that long and the J-Bass really felt nice. I'm looking at the RBX170 and any of the SX basses. I have a guitar center store not far from me so I was going to go look at the Yamaha but what version of the SX bass is the J-Bass style? Any ideas?

Thanks a ton, and I hope to be playing again soon.

Chuck

2. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi wrencherCB,

I can't answer your question because I'm new to the bass. However, let me welcome you to T.B.

If you go to TalkBassForums and click on Bass Guitars Forums you can post your question there under Basses. Someone is bound to give you some info. Sojourn on!;)

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would consider an Ibanez. Great starting bass for the money, very thin neck and various models depending on what you want to spend. You can get a used one relatively inexpensive. Check out the sr500

4. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    You may want to check out a Squire Jazz Bass or a Made in Mexico Jazz Bass if you like Jazz Bass necks.