Newbie here with basic question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Surfncoop, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Surfncoop

Oct 6, 2004
    I have just got my first bass (woo hoo!), but i do not have an amp yet. Now I know I probably only need a small practice amp to learn, but i have played a 6 string (casually) for about 7 years and know that I will want to play on something that can make some noise eventually (ie. have fun).

I do have a regular guitar amp. Is it possible to push a bass cab with a guitar amp? Or is it possible to push a bass head through a guitar cab.

So basically my question is, can you mix and match these (amps and speakers), or are bass amps and bass cabs only for bass guitars?

Please forgive my newbieness and help me out. Thanks...
  2. It is more advisable to use a guitar amp and bass cab than the other way around. Guitar speakers are not designed to handle low frequencies and you can blow them. Guitar amps can sound good for bass with some eq tweaking.

I use a Crate GX-15r guitar combo plugged into a Traynor 1x15 cab at home and it sounds fine.
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    You seem to know your stuff for a noobie!
  4. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    if u use a bass head w/ a guitar cab ull blow the cab. if u use the guitar head w/ bass cab it wont have as much power and if u dont have enought power to go through ur cab u can damage the speakers. if u wanna just start out w/ a basic head then get the behringer 300 watt head and a simple cab. that head is the best starter if ur on a budget.
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    NO, I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong. There are basically two ways to damage a speaker, 1: over excursion caused by too much power at too low a frequency or 2: over heating caused by too much power. Some people will tell you that clipping an amplifier (and so creating more high frequency content) will blow your tweeters but even that isn't totaly accurate as shown by one of Rane's engineers here

Edit: I just noticed that there is an HTML version
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like others have can't use a guitar cabinet for bass... Good thing that no one ever mentioned that to Chris Squire who played thousands of gigs through a guitar head (Sunn Coliseum Lead) and guitar cabinets (Sunn 6x12s), or John Entwistle who used guitar cabs in his monster rig or Steve Harris or Lemmy or...countless others... :D

In all honesty, you do have to watch your low end with guitar speakers as their cones are not designed to move far and you'll either get a nice distorted mess or you'll damage your speakers due to overexcursion.

Guitar amps tend to be lower power than bass amps (THANK GOODNESS) and you'd probably run out of head room quicker on a guitar head. Plus, guitar amps don't often have bass friendly features like compressors or very flexible EQ...

Have fun and welcome aboard!!!! :hyper:

7. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    The only way an amp is going to hurt your speakers is too much power, or dirty power (clipping). If you don't crank whatever amp you are using to 11, you should be fine. If your speakers sound all buzzy, turn it down!