Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by new2bg, Dec 18, 2005.

1. new2bg

new2bg

Dec 18, 2005
    Southwestern OH
    Hi folks, just wanted to introduce myself to the group. Been playing acoustic guitar for many years, but got an early Christmas present of an Ibanez GSR200. Lotsa fun, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about basses, so please be gentle!

Does anyone know what strings come factory stock on this bass!

Thanks,

Newbie in SW OH

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Welcome to TB, the best place on the net as far as I am concerned and congrats on a nice early Christmas present!
    Regarding the brand/guage of strings I don't know what Ibanez use but I am guessing they are pretty standard el cheapo factory bass strings that alot of companies use on their basses. I am sure they will be alright for a few months at least......

3. welcome home!
    congrats on the new bass. most companies don't disclose their string brand name publicly, as they buy in super bulk rates, but the guys at Guitar Center can probably tell you.
    :cool:

4. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    I donno if it is the same on all Ibanez basses but my EDB600 came stock with Elixirs on them i am sure exactly what Elixirs but they were Elixirs none the less.

5. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I beg to differ... This weekend my friend got his first bass... a used SR300 with EMG's put in by the previous owner (unless the SR300's ship with EMG's). As my friend is talking to the guy, I am listening to them. The guy goes "And the Bartolini's in that baby sound great!!!".

Don't listen to what they say.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just checked th Ibanez site, they don't tell what brand, but the gauges are 45-100. .45,.65,.80,.100. It's on their site under setup.

7. new2bg

new2bg

Dec 18, 2005
    Southwestern OH
    Thanx for the warm welcome and for the info, especially that provided by AxtoOx on the string gauges.

Does anyone have opinions on the Ashdown "Electric Blue 180" bass head?

TIA, John in SW OH

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    We play different strings on bass based not just on string gauge. Some play round wound, some play half wound, some play flat wound. Some play nickel, some play stainless steel. Some play nickel coated, some play pure nickel. I saw on one thread that someone said that their strings where pure stainless steel. I thought that was funny.

I think you would like D'Addario XLs. They are round wound, nickel coated, smooth on the fingers, warm in sound, and are fairly equal in representing the lows, mids, and highs.

9. Most cheap basses come with no-name strings.

Watch out, there are a lot of basses with strings with red end threads.