1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

newbie here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aelizalde, Sep 11, 2008.

1. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    hey guys i'm currently looking to move up from my hartke 120w combo. my friend is willing to sell me his hartke 300w 8ohm 4X10. trying to find a good head to run it, so far i've landed on the markbass little mark 2. which runs 500w at 4 ohms, 300w at 8. perfect fit, right?

also, i found this on craigslist:
    http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/828701334.html

the poster posted no information about its power specs but i was intrigued cause it looked vintage. can anyone tell what it is by the pic?

thanks a lot
    any advice would be great, i'm looking to make the best cost-effective choice!

andrew

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Learn how to use the search function. There is so much information available on pretty much any piece of equipment you can think of on this site you'll be reading for days.

That said, the Markbass seems to have a good rep. Most people will probably say it outclasses the cab you're getting by a lot...although I personally have a 410 XL that I like a great deal. I don't know much about older Carvins.

3. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    cool, thanks for the advice.

i've got a limited budget and am trying to put together a good half stack, so any advice helps. oh and those reviews are pretty good too!

4. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Right. This is going to sound stupid, but no. You do not want an amp that puts out 300W @ 8 Ohms on your cab.

The reason is simple, when you go to crank up the volume (which will happen eventually) you run the risk of clipping the signal to the cab. On the input of you amp, this means distortion (or overdrive, fuzz, etc). On the power side of the amp means that the drivers in the cab are being held at their peak. This is THE quickest way to fry out a driver.

So if you have VERY GOOD discilpine, and can avoid turning the amp past 8, go for it. Otherwise, look for an amp with at least 50% more power at whatever impedance than the cabinet can take. So in your case, I would suggest a 450W amp.

As for a thing to maybe take a look at, the bassist of my buddies band uses a BBE preamp going through a Crown power amp. The power amp is rated for about 2X the power of his cab. It sounds clear and delicious.

Hope this helps, bro.

Beast

P.S. Another way to think of it is like when people use the 18V option for a preamp to get more "headroom." They don't really need the room, but it makes sure that they don't overdrive the pre and get unwanted distortion of the signal from the bass.

5. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    so even though the head puts out 500w at 4 ohms AND 300w at 8 ohms, and the cab is 300w at 8 ohms it still wouldnt work?

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    It'll work fine. Who turns their amp up to or past 8?

You can later add an 8 ohm 1x15 or 2x10 to get the 500w.

If you run 600w through a 300w cab, you'll outrun the speakers with peaks and probably fry them much easier that if you run with the 300w.

What you really need to focus on is what you'll be doing with the amp/cab. What type of band, how loud the rest of the band is, etc. With the 4 ohm power available, to me it's a reasonable choice.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it would absolutely work. Though it's not his fault since this is a widely-spread myth, Beast's post is misinformed. Clipping is not what blows speakers in and of itself. Overpowering the speakers and forcing them to operate out of their safe parameters is what blows them. So whether you use a 300w amp and make it clip or whether you use a 450w amp that isn't clipping but is well past 300w, the speaker is going to blow if you exceed its limits.

Therefore, the LMII is fine for the Hartke cab. When the LMII clips, it puts out a very nasty sound that lets you know that you need to back off of it. So don't worry about it.

8. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    The amp will still work with the cabinet, you just run the risk of blowing the cab if you push the volume up too much. Like I said, if you can keep it under 8, go ahead, if you dare.

And if you like to do any popping & slapping, you'll have to keep the volume at 7 or less.

If you really want this amp then follow this rule: The moment you even THINK you heard a little distortion, cut the volume a little, until you can't hear it anymore.

Lata,
    Beast

9. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    sweet! so eventually when i get a 1X15 inch cab to add to the rig i can just turn my head over to 4 ohm and it would put out at 500w?

10. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    oh and the band i'm in has 1 guitar player, a drummer and a conga player....we have some halfway decent live recordings. (where ironically you can hear the bass cause the guy recording us was a noob)

myspace.com/donapacem

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't know if you've tried the LMII, but it does not clip pretty with sweet distortion. It clips with digital-sounding nastiness. It will let you know right away when you need to back off it.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes. Don't even need to turn a switch or anything. It does it automatically.

13. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    sweet guys! thanks a lot, you're really helping me out, i'm really new at this. in fact, i've never heard the word ohm till two days ago. hah.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dude, I've been playing pro for 30 years and I still can't remember the formulas for figuring out impedances. I just remember the simple stuff like 8 + 8 = 4 ohms.

15. aelizalde

aelizalde

Sep 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    one more quick question.
    when i do get the 1X15 or the 2X10 cab, it has to run at 8 ohms and how many watts? 200? i'm guessing since 200+300=500

sorry if this is a dumb question

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not a dumb question, but you got it wrong. It's the amp, not the cabs, that determines how much wattage goes to each speaker. It will split the wattage evenly between the two cabs, so each will get 250w.