Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kidd_Twist, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Kidd_Twist

Kidd_Twist

Nov 25, 2000
    I've been playing for about a year now and I've been looking into buying some effects. I know you probably get these questions all the time, but if you could suggest anything. I'm primarly looking for floor effects, so suggestions and links are welcome!

2. smuttley

smuttley

Sep 29, 2000
    hey there,
    i'm sort of in your position too, i've been shopping around for some new effects for my bass.
    What you buy depends on the kind of sounds you're really after. If you want lots of things in 1 unit, get a multi effects processor, like the boss ME-8, korg toneworks ax-1, digitech bp-8 (gettin' preeety expensive...).

These have got most things like your distortions, chorus, flange, reverb, wah, and cool things like synths!

i decided against getting a muli-fx board, because i find them to be a sacrifice on sound quality (not always though..), instead being packed with lots of effects.

The stomp boxes contain single effects, and the effect parameters (eg gain) are quicker to change. you can link lots of stomp boxes together, and with things like wah pedals.

boss make a range of stompboxes, i'm going to buy the synth bass pedal, and the bass overdrive, with a jim dunlop crybaby bass wah.

check out your shops, play on everything, see what sounds appeal to you.

3. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Hey guys, I've been playing for about a year and a half and I have a slew of effects. Sometimes it seems like overkill, but you never know when you are going to need that certain sound, so I find my self buying almost any effect I can get my hands on. Anyways, I love Boss pedals, they're small, tough, and have great sound. I have Boss bass chorus, Boss bass overdrive, and Boss flanger. I want to get a Boss bass synth soon. I also have a DOD overdrive, Dunlop bass wah (105Q), eh bassballs, & ernie ball volume. No complaints. If you guys have any questions on any of these products feel free to email me. Welcome to the club.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The only effect I use is a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus. Boss' new auto-wah (AW-something) might be cool too.