Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie iamp350/realist problems

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by natant, Sep 22, 2002.

1. natant

natant

Sep 22, 2002
    i have a kay with a realist pickup that i'm running directly into an iamp350 combo. it sounds nice at low volumes, but i'm playing with a loud band. when i turn the gain or the volume up past 3 or 4 the signal starts distorting really badly.

i think that these amps can output at fairly high volumes. is the signal that the realist puts out too heavy? do i need a preamp? a different p/u?

after finally buckling under and buying the 350combo i am now freaking out that i won't be able to get the sound i need from it. any suggestions?

thanks.

natant:(

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Are you putting the pre or post level at 3 or 4? If you jack the pre volume up to high, you'll overdrive the preamp?

What ohmage is your cabinet? The site says you 350 watts into 4 ohms. This makes it about half that at 8 ohms, which ain't that much for bass, particularly if you're try to push an inefficient cabinet.

3. natant

natant

Sep 22, 2002
    thanks for responding ray.

i'm putting the pre somewhere between 3 and 4 generally. then setting the post around 4 or 5.

the cabinet impedance is 8 ohms. but while i'm getting distorted sound, the overload light never flickers, so i don't think i'm overdriving it.

it's strange, because i've played a couple of gigs with the amp so far and it's only recently that i've had problems with signal distorting.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'd suggest trying a different pickup to see if the problem's in the pickup or the amp. The Realist is prone to low rumble feedback if you aren't careful...and the higher the volume, the more low rumble you get.

See if you can get your hands on an Underwood, or better yet, a K&K Bass Max to play in one of these situations and see if the same thing happens.

5. natant

natant

Sep 22, 2002
    thanks chris, i'll try a different p/u. but, check this out: i just tested the iamp350 with my BG. same problem. pre at 3, post at 3- when i play light it sounds okay, but when i increase the intensity, pluck just a little harder, the sound distorts as if the speaker were blown.

i can't imagine that the speaker could be blown because i've never really played it really loud. i've never seen a clipping or overload light even flicker. what gives? guess i should call the folks at euphonics tomorrow and see.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You should also check to make sure that you're not overloading the input. I've had a similar problem with several of my high end cabs with BG...turns out my (active) Ken Smith was farting out because the strings were too close to the pickup.

Or, it could be a blown speaker, in which case you should definitely get in touch with EA.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also check all of your cables. I've seen bad guitars cords act this way.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was about to say the same thing.

9. I have recently suffered what sounds like the same symptoms with my Ashdown 110 combo,I took it into my local shop to get an opinion and the guy confirmed the speaker had indeed blown.A replacement speaker was not expensive and cured the problem,might be worth getting it checked out this way.

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    How to check a speaker: Place your fingers on the cone just next to the voice coil- that's the part of the cone where the shape changes from a cone to a dome or flat spot- and *gently* push inward a few times. Not too much; just a half inch will do. If you feel or hear any roughness or scratchinness, that means the voice coil became overheated and distorted and is now rubbing against the magnet. If that's the case the speker is indeed "blown" and will have to be reconed. Luckily reconing is much cheaper than replacing a whole speaker. (I used to run a music store in a previous life, and had to break the news to a lot of sad young rockers).

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I had a similar problem with my iAMP350 that I bought used and was running through a VL-110 with a Realist. The problem didn't start until I had played a couple of gigs with it. What happened to mine was that the Input segment (right word?) of the amp itself had been blown, probably by a blast of static electricity. Gary Gibililisco at EA was very helpful and helped me to diagnose the problem over the phone. They also repaired it for no charge other than I had to pay for shipping back to them. Send him an email or give him a call to discuss this--I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Erik Hansen