1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie: Ibanez GSR200 or PV Millennuim?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kurtsnyder, Aug 31, 2008.

1. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Hi Guys. I've been playing double bass for a few years now and what to get into the EB side. I don't have alot of mullah to spend on an electric right now, so I'm looking at either a Ibanez Soundgear GSR200 for $180 or a Peavey Millennium BXP for $220. Both prices are after tax and all. Which bass would be a better bang for my buck?

Or, does anyone have any recommendations for an even cheaper, playable beginner bass?

Thanks!

2. my first electric bass guitar was an Ibanez GSR200 and its worked great for just about 2 years, its a great beginner bass. i've never played a Peavey so i can't really say anything about that one, but i've heard good stuff about all their stuff.

3. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I started playing my GSR200 again this weekend and realized how nice it is. The neck is great and everything feels solid. I've had it for over a year and never had a setup but it still plays great; very usable right off the rack. I love the P/J pickup configuration. It's great for getting a nice variety of sound.

I actually became upset after playing it and coming to realize that it is superior to my Squier Affinity P bass that I've been loving for a few months now. I deeply enjoy both instruments, but the Ibanez just feels more solid.

I have no experience with Peavey, but I'd lean towards the Ibanez because of the P/J config. You can get a taste of the P sound as well as the J. It's a great starting place.

A cheaper option that will likely get brought up (and for good reason) is SX. I've never owned one but really wanted one for a while; until I read about the larger neck they used. I like slimmer necks so I decided against it. That, of course, is just my opinion. I'll probably end up getting an SX in the future.

Good luck making your decision!