Newbie in need

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newbie101, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Newbie101

Mar 22, 2001

I just need some really basic answers, I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on a few things for me.

<LI>What is the real difference between a "Bass Amp" and a normal "Guitar Amp"?</LI>
    <LI>What type of Stack is good for bass?</LI>
    <LI>I've never restrung my bass before, what kind of strings are good and what's the best procedure?</LI>
    <LI>I've been playing on a the same bass for about 3 years now, at the time I bought it, it was recommended to me by my a salesman at my local music store. It's a "Shane" bass. I've never seen another one like it, so I'm assumeing that it's just an "off Brand". If so, what would be a good bass to buy? But I like the way it plays more than some of the other more expensive basses I've played....but that's not saying much if my bass it the one I learned on.</LI>
    Ok, so maybe their not the mose <b>SIMPLE</B>

Thanks for help.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass!
    Wow, that's too much to answer in a single post, so please forgive me when I just answer with a link:

Browse through those Bass FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions), they'll provide some basic info.
  3. I am not exactly a veteran bass player, i have been playing far less than you, less than a year, but i think i can help you with your questions, at least bassicaly, as i cannot get into technical issues.

1. A bass amp is made to reproduce the low end frequencies, whereas a guitar amp is made to reproduce the mid and higher range frequencies more. Also, bass amps pack more watts than regular guitar amps, because it takes more power to push the low frequencies than it does the high frequencies.

2.There will be lots of opinions on this, i will just list some cabinet combinations, and i wont even get into the "best" head to get, i will leave that to the more senior guys around here. Some possible speaker combos are: 2x10",4x10", 1x15", 2x10" and 1x15" 4x10"and a 15", but there are so many possibilites, there can be 12" speakers too, as well as 8" speakers, and lots not forget the 18"s. All of the speakers have their own characteristic sounds, and they all handle different frequencies in different ways, it is impossible to say one is better than the other, it is a matter of personal preference.

3. Yes, you are overdue for a re-stringing. I very strongly reccomend D'Addario Slowound strings, they are my favorite i have tried so far, and I also tried Ernie Ball slinkys, and I did not like those at all, but again, its personal preference. As for procedure, go to and then gear, and there is detailed article with pictures about the proper way to string your bass.

4. I have never heard of the brand Shane before, and i dont really know what to recomend to you. I dont know what kind of music you are playing, or what kind of money you are willing to spend. I will however give the default response for this one. Try a fender MIM Jazz, that will run about $300. I wish i could be of more help on this one, maybe if i had more info.

Hope i helped :D
  4. Haha JMX i answered it in a single post. Horray for me. I am the man! :rolleyes:
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No man, you're a lizard [​IMG]