Newbie in regard to flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by byrdsfan, May 2, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    Uh, as ive posted here before, i'm picking up bass after a long time away. When i played before i never changed strings!

Now i, with more resources available, i have a few basses and have tried flatwounds since heard so much about them. The good news: I love the way they feel; the bad is i hate the way they sound, with the amp or without.
    These are Rotosound flats, which seemed to be all they had at GC. (I also had flats put on my old Musicmaster, i think they "half wounds" and i have the same experience with them).
    Anyway, i though they were supposed to sound bassier than rounds but are anything but. They have this loud "ping" kind of sound. Very trebly, think Entwistle in My Generation.
    Are there flatwound strings that have bottom, maybe even a little growl? The bass i put them on is a SPace Cadet (dont laugh), which has a MusicMan type pickup but like i said i also have them on the MusicMaster.
    THanks for reading this far.
    Also if there are any suggestions, please give the exact name of the string and a good place to get them (i did put newbie in the subject).
    Thanks again!
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i use d'addario Chromes, they have a great growl and lots of thump. they're a little bright at first but really get a good uppermid bite after a week or two.

good luck searching, i've been playing for 9 years and it took that long to find flat i like. i still have not clue on what rounds i want, and of course it'll change when i get a new bass.