Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Intro, and a question about first bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neutrino, Sep 19, 2005.

1. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hello,

I decided to join today after about 3 to 4 months of just browsing around. I currently play guitar, but really not at all happy with it. I have always loved a deep driving bassline. So... I have decided to ebay my guitar and take up playing the bass.

I was wondering if you all could assist me in helping decide what bass to purchase? I've been focusing on musicman basses simply because they seem to have the reputation of a quality product and they also find themselves in the hands of many pros. But I am not completely married to the company either, so suggestions are welcome.

I just don't know which model would be suit me. I will be playing mostly Rock music - Bands that really influence me are: Tool, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Live, Dave Matthews Band, etc. I like everything from jam based to metal I guess, and I need something that will help me grow as a musician and get me reasonably close to the sounds that are in my head.

As for budget - I would like to stay below 1600 if possible.

Thanks,
    N

2. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I would suggest a Fender Jazz Bass. They have a very slim neck, are very playable (if set up properly) and you can get wonderful tones from them with little effort. You can get a Mexican Standard Jazz for about $500 (don't hold me to that price). Fenders have always served me well.

But that's just my $0.02.

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Is that 1600 USD, Euros or baht? ;^)

Seriously though (assuming it's USD), that's a lot of dough to plunk down on an instrument you might not continue with (yeah, crazy, but it happens!); also, what are you going to use for amplification? Are you planning on playing with bands? Or just having an amp for practice until you see how things go?

Second on the Mex Jazz - the only thing to watch out for is that, in general the cheaper the bass -> the more likely any random bass will have a faults or issues with playability. As you've played guitar you'll have some idea of what to look out for (neck warping, frett dress quality, correct operation of electronics), but it might still be handy to take a bass-playing friend (or your bass teacher ;^) ) with you when you go looking.

4. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    I currently have a Laney 75watt 15" combo that a friend of mine gave me. It seems fairly basic, but I'm sure it will work for the time being.

I won't be playing with any bands at the moment since I'm just starting out. I sincerely would like to do this just for myself - I've always played music my entire life (piano - saxophone - guitar - etc). I just like making music, this is no different.

and the price range was in fact in USD.

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    used g&l or G&L tribute. great basses, vary versitile, stand out in the mix, if n, go musicman, I like the newer companies that leo started. G&L being the newst, then MM,

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    get the Ray if that's what you dig! 4 or 5 it should be in budget... Lakland 55-02 (or 44-02) might suit you as well!
    http://www.lakland.com/55-02.htm

Welcome to TalkBass!

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'd continue looking at Musicman basses, and things in that price range if you can spare the change. Fender jazzes are decent basses, but you will sacrifice a lot of quality between them and Musicman, G&L, and Lakland.

8. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    yes, the musicman basses just sort of stand out in my mind. I'm really digging the bongo's at the moment, but I am uncertain as to which one would suit me the most.

9. It's really up to what you find comfortable. I mean, you can like a bass so much up to a certain point. Get ahold od a Sting Ray and a Sterling, and see if you like the live sound, and the feel of them both.

Other basses I would suggest, would be Warwick Corvette, Ibanez Prestige 1k series, and a Peavey Cirrus.

~Ryan

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    While a lot of TBers can be really helpful, the best thing for you to do is go to your nearest music shop and try everything. EVERYTHING. Get an idea of what kinds of things you like, what feels good to you, what sounds good, etc. Even if you don't buy anything there, it'll help you make your decision. But, I guess if you play guitar already, you know that...

I'd suggest an Ibanez, maybe the agb140? It's well within your price range, has a nice balance of warmth and pop, and it's just different enough to set you apart a bit. Ibanez's mid-range/cheaper basses are all really great starters, though.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    BUY USED! Here's why:

It may take a while to figure out which bass is your bag.

If you are willing to look for and buy a used instrument in nice condition, you can spend whatever you want and easily sell it for what you paid and try something else. Just do a little homework to make sure the price is fair and the bass is solid.

A bass can hold it's used value almost indefinitely if taken care of.

If you buy new and decide to try something else, you are out 30-40 percent of what you spent.

12. I agree with going used. I also second the G&L Tribute series. You can get somewhat of a Musicman sound from them as well many others. The electronics are a bit confusing if your just getting started so it may take time to get used to them.

The Jazz bass is also an excellent choice. They are the swiss army knife of the bass world. A used Geddy Lee signature series Jazz would be an excellent first bass.

I have a Ibanez RKB900 I'm trying to sell. It's a really cool, versatile bass. Check the "FOR SALE" section for pictures and more details.

Don't spend all of your money on the bass. You can get a great bass at a very low price and have plenty left to get a really nice amp.

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
  14. If you like the musicman, you should get one. You won't be satisfied with anything else. They are great instruments too. I'd play the Stingray, Sterling, and Bongo and see which one you like the best. Then definately look in the used market for one of those instruments. I'd recommend you save your cash cause when you get a nice bass like that, a 75w 1x15 combo is going to get old real quick. You will want a nice rig to go with it.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Keep in mind too while looking at MM's, some are pretty versatile, while some are one trick pony's so to speak. You might look for one with a 2 pickup combo. And by no means let the one trick pony's deter you either. If that one trick is the right one for you anyhow :)

I hear the Bongo's are the most versatile of them, and if you dig those, Id check those out first.

16. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    The only problem with getting a 'nice' rig is that i currently live in an apartment complex :|

But, I graduate in may, so hopefully I can start looking at other options soon as well.

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    A nice rig doesnt have to be a loud rig. In fact, the nicer it is, the more likely it will perform really well at low volumes. Thats not always true though. A nice rig could even mean for you, a really nice combo amp that sounds good low volume, and can stand up to at least a bar gig level. Also, most rigs have headphone outs, so you could always use those at home.

18. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, for me a 'nice rig' is something that maintains the same tonal quality at low volumes and cranked to eleven, with fairly simple EQ controls, and a nice OD channel don't hurt either.

19. While on the topic of rigs. Check out the Ampeg B-100R. It's a great little combo. Sounds good at low volumns and can get pretty loud when it needs to.

Thats all I have. A B-100R and a P-bass. Suits me just fine for the time being. :bassist:

20. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd suggest something by G-K. Fairly cheap, but my combo I got from them has great tone, and it can get pretty damn loud. Add that it's solid as a rock and has a pretty killer OD channel, and that's it for me. I love it.