Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie(ish) looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tzetze, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Hi guys. I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, and have found the site and boards to be a fantastic source of information.

I first bought a bass 14 years ago, when I was sweet sixteen. It was a cheap Encore, P Bass copy. Of course, back then, I had no idea what it was, but it looked fantastic and surely the babes would come flocking soonafter. (good thing I didn't hold my breath) :D

Bought a couple of bass for beginners books, played around with some people, making passable bass noises. (Never did get any further than a friends garage, but I learned the basics). Then, I guess about 4 years after I had bought it, I sold it for a pittance and used the money to fund a particular habit that I still havent quit. (read: have no intention of quitting ;)

I always regretted selling that Bass.

6 years ago, while going through a bit of a party summer in Galway, sitting on a fast-dwindling bank account, I decided to get me a bass. So, in I rushed to the local music shop, and after handing over some money, left with a 100W Laney Combo (don't have any more details that that, as it's currently in the attic), and this;

[​IMG]

Had a lot of fun with this for about a year, jamming with friends daily. But after deciding to do a programming diploma, I stopped playing to allow more time for studies (regret that now of course).

That was 5 years ago. Now, after getting my software dip, and a couple years programming experience, I find myself on the redundancy heap. This is turning into life story here :| Anyway, I'm disillusioned with programming now. Took my bass out of retirement a couple of weeks ago. Found this site, learned a lot regarding bass setup here. It feels so much better to play now. Thanks.

So, basically, I'm at a stage now where I know maybe a bit more than the basics. I plan on getting playing with some people locally asap. And want to begin gigging. (for fun and experience primarily)
    As soon as I'm no longer unemployed, lessons will be on the cards also.

I'm very keen to pick up a 5 string. The idea of a low B is very seductive to me ;)

Are any of you guys familiar with my Aria SLB-2?
    I wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad sounding bass if it smacked me in the gob.

Will my bass cut it for breaking into the gigging scene?

What 5 string would you recommend? (On a budget of around €500-€750) I guess I'm looking for warm, mellow, rich tones. That's the kind of sound I like to play. But would like punchy capabilities for slapping.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Another pic of the Aria.

[​IMG]