1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie (kinda) re-introducing himself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Raman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Hi folks,
    I posted a for sale add here yesterday by mistake (sorry about that), in which I'd re-introduced myself a bit. (I'd actually made an introduction about a year ago, but only posted a couple of times after.) Well I've moved the thread to the classified section, but I thought I should do it in proper form this time. :)

So I've been playing bass for quite a while. Actually, I've "owned" a bass for about 15 years, but only started getting serious about it for the last few.
    I have no formation per se on this instrument, but have some theoretical background from when I was young and played the piano, which helps.
    I've been in several bands, mostly rock covers. And I also accompanied a folk singer who wrote all her songs, which was good for having made me write all my own parts for the 1st time.

My band at this point is (finally) my own project. And it's a mix of dub, reggae and jazz influences. Hard to describe, and especially since we're still in the process of writing our 1st pieces after about 3 months of musical brainstorming, but if you can picture a mix of dub feel and loosely-structured improvisation à la GodSpeed, coupled with techno influences, you're getting there.

On this note, reading through the threads here I've realized there seem to be quite a few dub players around.
    Great. :D I've had a hard time finding dub afficionados at HCBF, where I tend to hang out, and elsewhere.
    And since I'm looking more and more to acquiring equipment that will allow me to get tones suited for styles other than rock, I think it'll be fruitful to become more active here.

(On this note, thanks to Mad Subwoofer : I read a post where you talked about the DOD FX25 and, consequently, I've just bought one on Ebay. :D )

Well that's it. Nice to be meeting y'all. :)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy raman :)

introductory posts like this usually go in the miscellaneous section, so i'll move this there presently. :)

3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    And, if you're interested, here's my current gear :

-Jacques Simoneau 5-string (BEADG) (That's the one for sale, as I don't like the EMG sound, and I'd rather exchange it for a cheaper bass and use the change for additional equipment. Esp., I'm interested by something like a EH Bass Micro synth.)
    -Ibanez Axstar, headless 4-string (BEAD). Great deep tone, fantastic sustain. I love this bass. :)
    -Rickenbacker 4001, 1975. From when I was a Yes fan. I keep it for when I need a rock bass.

-Seymour Duncan Bass 400 amp, Hartke Traveler (4x10) and Ampeg (1x18) cabs.
    -Fender Bassman10 tube combo.

-SansAmp DI/Driver
    -Keeley Compressor
    -Korg AX-1B
    -Boss DD2 Delay
    -Ibanez Soundtank Tremolo
    -DOD FX25 (On the way. :D )

4. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    No probl. :)

I still have to get used to your how things work around here. ;)

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    heyyy, you're Ramanuman on HC, correct? :)

We need more members like this guy.

6. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Oh, and one question : Can anyone tell me why my signature doesn't appear in my posts ? (I usually list my gear in there.)
    The option to show it is ticked, but it still doesn't appear...

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Yup.
    What a nice thing to say. :)

We haven't seen you over there in a while...

8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Ah, never mind about the signature. There it is.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :confused:

I can see it...

10. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    yup. It wouldn't show for a about 5 minutes after I updatred my profile. Then it did...
    Never mind. :oops:

11. You can write with proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. You need not apologize.

By the way, can I interest you in the Official Canadian Thread in the Off-Topic forum?