1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Looking at Head and Cabs, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendos, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Brendos

Brendos

Oct 8, 2006
    BC
    New to talk bass, Ive been playing bass for 5 or 6 years now and Ive quickly realized my little combo doesnt hold up during concerts anymore. I need help trying to find equipment I will be happy with for as long as Im a bass player.

I've choosen a head, an Ampeg B4R, becuase I'm a fan of the fat 70's retro sound.
    However, I'm at a loss as to what cabinets to pair up. My original thought was to go with an Ampeg SVT 210 and SVT15, The 210 would be good for the coffe shop gigs. Im now considering ethier a GK SBX410 and SBX15 or a 210 with a 410...
    The perfect setup for me would be to pair the 210 and 410.... can this be done?... how? and what make of cabs?

Thanks for the help!
    Bren

2. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I would suggest that you take you bass and amp into whatever music stores you have access to and try out all of the available cabinets. Go with what you think sounds best. As for my experience, I've played through the Ampeg 8X10 and 4X10 cabinets and have been able to get a satisfactory sound. The only GK cabinet I've used is the 210RBH, and I wasn't real happy with the sound. If your budget can handle a used Bergantino 1X15 or 2X10 cabinet, you would do very well. Anyway, good luck on your search.

3. Brendos

Brendos

Oct 8, 2006
    BC
    I've tried out the Ampeg B4R downtown. The guy set it up so that one side was running mono 1000w out an Ampeg SVT410 and a SVT15E. It sounded pretty awsome, The 410 was pumping but I think the 15 gets a little flabby in loud situations (also, the 15 is only rated at 200w @ 8Ohms) Does anyone own The Ampeg B4R with a 410" + 15" combination?

My budget is about 1200$cnd for a pair of cabs. Im just wondering what a good setup would be.
    The 410 and 210 would be ideal, But can that combination be run daisy chained?

Im comming at this with no knowledge of amp and cab combinations besides the obivous setups. A 610 would be a bit too large for me. I amp playing a 5string so the ability to handel the low B is essential.

4. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Even though you have said a 610 may be too big, you should still take a look at this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280601

Also, with your budget you could look into a used Epifani UL-410. It would handle just about any situation I can think of.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021