Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie looking at the Fender Japan Precision '57 and '62 Re-issues. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by on1ne, Dec 21, 2004.

1. on1ne

on1ne

Dec 21, 2004
    NYC
    Hi all,
    Just joined.
    I'm considering the Japan Reissue '57 and '62 P's. They are not accurate Re-issues like the US models but I hear they are very well made excellent basses. They are offered in Lefty versions which the USA models are not.

The Japan models are both the same price. If I go by the tone of the samples posted at the US Fender Website for the US 57 RI and 62RI Precisions, I'd pick the 62. But I don't know if those samples correlate with the MIJ versions or what settings were used to make those samples anyway. I like the look of the '57RI and I like the Maple fretboard.
    Anyone have any advice concerning the 2 models from Japan?
    I'd especially like to hear from Japan RI '57 P owners if there are any here. How do you like it? Can you get plenty of deep funk and punch out of a Japan P '57RI?
    Anyone have experience with both the 57 and 62 Japan P's?
    Thanks

2. I don't have direct experience with the Precisions, but I can say that the Japanese Fenders are really excellent instruments. If you like the look of the '57RI, go for it - you'll be very happy. You can always change the pickups out later for better ones if you so desire - I put Fender Custom Shop pickups in mine and it is the bomb.