1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie looking for a nice practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Feb 23, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I am a beginner looking for a nice small practice amp to go with my Fender Jazz bass any recommendations? :rolleyes:

2. CoachLittle

CoachLittle

Jan 13, 2005
    This thread might be of interest to you.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166569

I went with the Bassman 25 based on comments (although I wasn't able to A/B it with all of the others I had tried - but someone else had A/Bed and had similar finalists for their options so I think we likely had similar sonic tastes). It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell you if I made a good choice or not for certain.

There is a significant amount of variability in the sound you'll get with the practice/smaller amps out there. You really need to try a few out to see what kind of tone/sound you're going to get. And that way you'll get what *you* want.

A lot of folks said good things about the Peavey MicroBass also, if you're just looking for a practice only amp. I've seen them on eBay for very inexpensive prices.

Also, if you're serious about gigging, the advice that folks will give you about going up to a 100W amp makes a lot of sense, it's been consistently noted here and in the alt.guitar.bass groups, etc. I didn't follow it because I'm not planning on gigging (starting at 40 - I guess at best I'd be shooting for the Senior Bass Tour...). Also, the guitarist(s) that I jam with have a PA and some other options that I could use if I'm volume challenged (and we're good enough pals that I could just tell them to turn it down a notch!).

Best of luck. There are lots of threads around here about your question - do a quick search.

Steve

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    How much do you want to spend? If you can kick loose $200 then Behringer (yeah, I know) sells a 120 watt combo. Musicians Friend sells them for that amount of money. I've played through one in a small club and you'd have a hard time finding a better deal for the money. Behringer also makes smaller ones.

4. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I want to keep the price below $300. :cool:

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hartke B60. That will go for below $300 used, and sounds great. I use it for practicing at home as well as lessons and some band practices.

I used it, without a PA, when my "big" amp crapped out and was in the shop for a few weeks. The Hartke performed swimmingly.