Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie looking for a nice practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Feb 23, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I am a beginner looking for a nice small practice amp to go with my Fender Jazz bass any recommendations? :rolleyes:

2. CoachLittle

CoachLittle

Jan 13, 2005
    This thread might be of interest to you.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166569

I went with the Bassman 25 based on comments (although I wasn't able to A/B it with all of the others I had tried - but someone else had A/Bed and had similar finalists for their options so I think we likely had similar sonic tastes). It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell you if I made a good choice or not for certain.

There is a significant amount of variability in the sound you'll get with the practice/smaller amps out there. You really need to try a few out to see what kind of tone/sound you're going to get. And that way you'll get what *you* want.

A lot of folks said good things about the Peavey MicroBass also, if you're just looking for a practice only amp. I've seen them on eBay for very inexpensive prices.

Also, if you're serious about gigging, the advice that folks will give you about going up to a 100W amp makes a lot of sense, it's been consistently noted here and in the alt.guitar.bass groups, etc. I didn't follow it because I'm not planning on gigging (starting at 40 - I guess at best I'd be shooting for the Senior Bass Tour...). Also, the guitarist(s) that I jam with have a PA and some other options that I could use if I'm volume challenged (and we're good enough pals that I could just tell them to turn it down a notch!).

Best of luck. There are lots of threads around here about your question - do a quick search.

Steve

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    How much do you want to spend? If you can kick loose $200 then Behringer (yeah, I know) sells a 120 watt combo. Musicians Friend sells them for that amount of money. I've played through one in a small club and you'd have a hard time finding a better deal for the money. Behringer also makes smaller ones.

4. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I want to keep the price below $300. :cool:

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hartke B60. That will go for below $300 used, and sounds great. I use it for practicing at home as well as lessons and some band practices.

I used it, without a PA, when my "big" amp crapped out and was in the shop for a few weeks. The Hartke performed swimmingly.