Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie looking for bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moonpuppy, Oct 11, 2003.

1. moonpuppy

moonpuppy

Oct 10, 2003
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could help:

I decided that I wanted to play bass, and I am not quite sure what kind of Bass Guitar I should be looking for.
    It would be used for hardcore/metal-ish type music..I want it to be really deep sounding..I don't really know how to describe it other than that, sorry.
    I don't have a lot to spend on it, probably around $300.

If anyone could suggest a good one, it would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Welcome to TalkBass! There's a ton of stuff in your price range, and the quality is surprisingly good for what you're spending. You can do a search and come up with lots of options... A lot of folks speak highly of the Essex basses sold through RondoMusic... Search for 'Essex' and you can read their opinions...

Enjoy the site!

-robert

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Check out...
    Benavente, Fodera, Conklin, Ken Smith, or maybe an Elrick, those would probably be good for metal/hardcore stuff.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My guess is that you want a 5-string, but I don't know what you can find for under $300. I would recommend looking at the used market.

If 4-string will do it for you, get a P bass. An Essex will do just fine or a used Mexican Fender. Most likely this will cover you.

I highly recommend buying used because then you can sell it for what you paid later when you grow out of it.

5. :D :D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wise butt! :p

but check out anything from Ibanez. they're making their name with that kind of player. i'm sure you'll find a good deal there. with a good setup by a qualified tech, and after you learn how to do it yourself, you'd have quite the machine to thrash with.

and dont forget to check out the amp forum, when you're ready to get your new amp, too.