Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR CHEAP GOOD BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FRANKB, Jan 24, 2003.

1. FRANKB

FRANKB

Jan 24, 2003
    new york
    I AM AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR PLAYER LOOKING FOR A DECENT CHEAP BASS FOR UNDER $300.I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT ESP LTD B-50,B104 AND YAMAHA RBX 270 & 370.ANY BODY OUT THERE FAMILIAR WITH THESE BASSES,OR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
    I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.THANKS!

2. You could get a used Peavey Foundation or something else used at www.superbass.net . If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you a good deal. Essex basses also seem to be popular. You can find them at www.rondomusic.com .

3. Try here, and check the Essex's.

www.rondomusic.com

You'll save some money, and might have enough to buy a practice amp.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    One of the basses you mentioned. The Yamaha RBX370A. I owned one. Quality was really good as expected with Yamaha. Its active so I can get alot of tones from it. Complaints: Its a little noisy and the neck's a bit chunky for me.

Other than that, it's a solid instrument. Value for money as is the case for all Yamahas but ultimately, you have to try those basses you mentioned or maybe try everything that suits your price range in your local guitar store. Get what you're comfortable with. Afterall its going to be your bass so it has to sound the way YOU want it to sound..the way YOU want it to look.

Hope Ive helped.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Read the "Essex Megathread" here,then go to www.rondomusic.com and buy an Essex or Brice.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Essex Jazz basses are great & cose between $100-200.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Essex!
    It's the blue one in the pic.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Oh yeah forgot to add...I've owned an ESSEX SJB62...quilted body...

And its a really good bass. I prefer it over the Yamaha RBX370A any day but then again, theyre two different animals....

9. FRANKB

FRANKB

Jan 24, 2003
    new york
    thanks guys!i really appreciate your speedy help.
    however,i would rather buy from a brick and mortar place where i can try and where,if necessary,i can bring it back for adjustments.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Several months ago I picked up a used Godin SD-4 for $190. It's one of the most impressive inexpensive basses I've ever found-it can actually hang with my F Bass and Peavey Cirrus tonewise. It has passive P-J pickups, a slim Jazz-style neck, and a large metal through-body bridge that really beefs up the tone. Strung with TI Jazz Flats it has a great, deep old-school tone.

I've tried SD-4's in two different stores, and both times they sounded better (IMHO) than all the Fenders there, including the expensive American ones with active electronics. On the downside, it has a goofy body shape, flimsy tuners, and noisy electronics I need to replace (but I'll keep the stock pickups in there).

The SD-4 and SD-5 (5-string) have since been replaced by the Freeway line so you should be able to get one cheap. I haven't tried an Essex but I find the Godin superior to the cheap ESPs and Yamahas you mentioned. Used Peaveys and '80's Japanese basses-Yamaha BB series, Ibanez Roadstar, Tokai, Fernandes, Aria Pro II, and Fender Squier-can also give you a lot of bass for your money.