1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie looking for help!

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Snufflumpagus, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    I'm looking to get into bass and I have a few questions. I wanted to know of any online courses, free and paid that I could use to learn at home. Preferably with videos of some kind along with written content as I'm a visual learner. I also have been recommended to use Elixir strings as they last a bit longer. Can anyone verify or deny this or offer a better string choice? I have decided on my guitar, it's super backordered in the color I want but I was interested in the Squier Affinity PJ bass. I definitely have a budget of 200 maybe squeeze in another 50 bucks but that's it on the guitar itself. I do have a Fender Frontman 15g amp that I got with my Squier Strat used. I have a friend scoffing that I can use a guitar amp for basses with no problem. Is there a real issue with using a guitar amp with a bass and is my friend just stupid? I don't really know the type of music I'd want to get into playing, I have such wide tastes, from surf to metal I like it all, except country. Yuck. Anyways that's all I can think of for now. Please don't be mean, I really want to learn. If you have any other pointers or advice that would be awesome.

2. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I can’t vouch for online courses, since I’m an advocate for working with an instructor in face-to-face private lessons. I would recommend, however, that you learn to read music and make an honest attempt at learning theory. It’ll help you immeasurably.

As far as Elixir strings go, I’m not at all a fan. Bass strings last much longer than guitar strings to begin with; many guys on here go a year or more without changing their strings. I prefer GHS or DR strings, but everyone has their own preference. Try different brands and styles until you find one that suits you, both in feel and tone.

Nothing wrong with a Squier, that’s a great starting point. You can plug it into a guitar amp, just don’t turn it up too-loud- it’s not designed for the low frequencies! A bass amp will sound better and handle your low notes better, but you can use a guitar amp short term.

As far as advice goes- your hands will hurt a bit at first, just make sure that you’re using good technique and be patient- that gets better. Also, remember that this is supposed to be fun! If you find yourself frustrated, take a break. And finally, TB is a great community, full of cool people. Being active on here is fun and will help you pick up some important stuff. Welcome, and best of luck to you!!!

3. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    Are there any books you'd recommend on learning to read music and music theory? Also do you know of any good headphones for a good price that can be used with an amp? The walls in my house are so thin I need a way to practice without disturbing my whole family in the process. I did find some Audio Technica ATH-M40x headphones at Guitar Center for $99.99. I didn't know if maybe I should go for something else or what. There was also a Tascam TH-200x for about the same price. Does it matter so much what I get for headphones, what should I look for?

4. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    Audio Technica headphones are excellent. You don’t have to spend $100 either, just get the nicest ones you can afford. I have a pair of Skullcandy on-ear headphones that were $40 and sound great.

As for method books- there’s a bunch of good ones available. The Hal Leonard book isn’t bad. There might be TAB in it, but focus on reading the notes on the staff as much as you can. You can probably find vids on YouTube cover basic scales- major, minor, etc. You can supplement your “book learning” with that- scales are incredibly important.

5. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    Would this Acoustic B30 combo amp be a good first choice? It's on sale right now which is a plus. I'll attach a picture of the amp along with the bass I'm getting. My big things I need in an amp would be headphones out, lightweight, and less than $200.

Attached Files:

6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I'm pretty sure Janek has great online lessons.
    Also Scott's Bass Lessons.

7. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    Have you tried either of these personally? I know I need something easy to understand as a beginner to music.

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Scotts bass lessons start pretty advanced. They're great for someone who already plays to get some cool chops togetger.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    So would it be better if I take Janek's courses?

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Sorry, I don't know them. I love Scott's but I've been playing 43 years.

11. Snufflumpagus

Snufflumpagus

Nov 25, 2017
    What do you think of the amp I chose. Is it alright for a practice amp you think? I don't need it to be super loud. I just need it to be portable and have a headphone jack either 1/4 inch or standard headphone connector. Also this is even posted in the Ask Janek forum haha so I thought most people would know about his courses here.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017