Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie looking for help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Squee, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Squee

Squee

Jun 14, 2004
    Tennessee
    I have just bought my first Bass, and I was hoping to find some good sites that have illustrations of finger positions, the scales, basic things a new player needs to know. I've done several Google searches, but all I get back are links to sites that feature playing with a bow. I myself do not plan on learning to play with a bow until later, right now I am mainly interested in the Jazz aspects of my Bass. I would really appreciate any and all help that I can get, I've only just begun, and I was hoping to have some skill to show my mentor. Thank you for your time and help.
    Bryce

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You have to have a teacher. Period.

3. As principally a trombone player and also recognising tuition is not cheap, the 1st thing you need is a good ear so as to develop intonation. 2nd, you MUST buy and use a bow. Why? Cos it will high light you intonation and show up if you are playing in or out of tune, even if you have no intention of playing with A BOW. Buy a cheapy bow it worked for me. 3rd start jaming along to CD's and stuff and guitarists or whatever ameuter community band you can get into, group playing is where its at. 4th find a good method book that works for you. Finally 5th if you are that way inclined take some exams on your instrument to give you the extra incentive to develop your ability. Good luck with the bass.

4. Tuition is not cheap, but neither is playing the upright. A teacher is neccessary, especially beginning. I know this because I didn't start lessons until two weeks after I got my bass (new semester at school was beginning of lessons) and I was trying the exact same thing, just messing around with the bass and trying to teach myself basics. It doesn't work. Hand positions, pizz playing, arco playing (yes, a bow is very helpful even if you don't plan on playing with it in performance), stance, all of that would be near-impossible to learn on one's own. Take the advice that is always given to new players. Get a teacher. You will not regret it.

5. Squee

Squee

Jun 14, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thank you for your help. I kind of felt like a blind man in an empty parking lot... lost, but you all have kind of shed some light for me to go by. Thanks again.
    Bryce

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    What Ray said. It will save you a lot in the long run.