Newbie looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tkcatch, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Tkcatch

Dec 30, 2005
    Hey I'm just getting started, looking for an opinion on getting my first guitar. I'm gonna be playing pop-punk, inspiration basically Green Day. Looking to spend under $400. I looked at the Squier MB-4 Skull and Crossbones Electric Bass and liked it, but not really sure if anybody has used it with complaints, or if they recommend something else. Let me know.
  2. A Precision style is probably best for what you are wanting to play. THe Squire is a pretty good product... and then there is always the Essex basses that aren't too bad for the money.
  3. if you're gonna get a squier, DONT get the affinity series. but i really think you should save up to $400 and get a TBC
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you fill out your profile, it helps us help you. You don't need to hide from us. :)
    Pesonally, I'd stay away from the "Skull and Crossbones" and stay more traditional. To me that's kinda like the BC Rich Warlocks, you kinda pigeonhole yourslef.
    A P bass would be good, like he recomended. A lot of people here love the SX P Bass by Rondo. It's supposed to be real good quality for the same price range.

Oh, and one more thing, this is a bass web site so your looking for a bass, not a guitar. :)
    Don't be offended, I play both.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I will say that this time last year, I was in almost the exact same position as you are. Same budget, same questions. I would suggest that you do what I did ... I bought a Mexican Fender Jazz. (A Mexican Precision would fill the bill equally well, depending on what sound you like.)

Since then, I have bought/sold a number of basses and have settled into a collection that I feel really comfortable with AND I no longer have that first Fender.

My point however (and one that I make all the time when asked this question) is that these two Fenders represent the "standard of the industry" where basses are concerned. I also believe they are an extremely useful basis for comparison when bass shopping.

People always talk about "Wanting a neck that is exactly like (thicker than/wider than) the one on a J-Bass" or "Wanting to get that J-Bass (or P-Bass) tone." My point is, you can't go wrong with either of these instruments as a starting point and if (more like when, if you're like most of us here on TB!) you decide to change/add/upgrade, you have a good reference point for your next choices.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I second IOTAnut
  7. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think the most important element at this juncture is PLAYABILITY! If you have difficulty playing a particular bass, you could get discouraged. I would recommend taking suggestions from these responses, going to music stores, and trying as many as possible within your price range before making a decision. If it feels 'at home' in your hands you will be inclined to practice more and stick with it. Good luck!
  8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you play with a pick, then the P-bass style is the more classic "California pop-punk" sound (ala Green Day and Bad Religion). Playing with your fingers is more commonly played on a Jazz Bass (like Karl Alverez from All and The Desendents). These are just generalities that I have come across in listening to punk for the past 20 years. Why not try to find a used Mike Dirnt Fender on Ebay or at a local store? You might find one in your price range. Although, I believe, in the "old" days of Green Day (before the sponsorships!) he used a Gibson Grabber. I think you'd get a better bass if you found a used bass of better quality than to buy a Squire. The SX basses are pretty darn good for the money, but you have to change out the pickups right away!
  9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I agree with what was said regarding the Skull and Crossbones bass. That's a tad bit cheesy, IMO.

If you only have $400 to spend and already have a decent amp setup, I'd either shop around for a good used precision, or go the SX route. A P bass on will cost you around $100, and you'll have $300 or so to spend on upgrades. Sounds like good deal to me.

The best thing to do is go window shopping. Go around to some stores, try some basses, and see what you like. You can learn alot by just trying out different styles and makes of basses.

If you really want to have that "Mike Dirnt" tone, either snab one of his sig. models off of Eelbay or just get a cheap precision, slap a badass bridge on, crank up the treble, and grab your pick.
  10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, what he said! Save your cash for when you know what you want. Grab an SX bass from Rondo, as suggested, and use the next X number of months to window shop. This will give you a chance to figure out what works for you. The SX bassess (essex, or whatever you want to call them) are an amazing value (judging from my 7 or so years of experience). I owned one for awhile, and I was seriously impressed for what you get for $100.00. Easily as good or better than anything 3 or 4x the amount that I played in Guitar Center.
  11. in the $400 price range i vote Fender Standard Jazz, mim.
    it will cover any pop/punk needs, and give you more tone choices, later. :cool: