Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie need a bass tuner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Sep 8, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I want to make sure my bass is tune when I practicing who make a good bass tuner that is not too high in price?

2. Korg or Roland make decent chromatic tuners...

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Get the Boss TU-80, which has a metronome.

4. I've used the Boss TU-2 stomp tuner for a very long time. It has a large readout so geezers can see it on the stage in dim light.

This tuner works perfectly with 5-string bass.

Battery life is determined by a how long the cable is plugged into the tuner input jack. Unplug after use, and it lasts a long time. Otherwise... carry batteries. The TU-2 also runs on a standard Boss 9v power supply, should you want to put it on a pedal board.

5. The TU-2 also runs fine on a Ibanez AC109 PSU, which was about 60% of the price of the genuine Boss PSU. (OK so I'm a cheap bastard.)

6. +1

Gotta learn to be in time as well as in tune. :cool:

7. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    that'll work, but you can get a korg tuner for 15 bucks in any guitar store that works fine....

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Somehow i got the Peterson Strobostomp tuner for christmas. It's the best, most precise tuner i've used to date. I'm never out of tune anymore. If you can afford it, i'd say go for it. Here's the site:

www.petersontuners.com

10. Anyone compared the Peterson tuner with the Boss TU-2 for onstage use ?

11. peterson vs. boss

Peterson is far more accurate, and once your used to tuning with it, you can tune as fast as a boss tuner. It also has a DI which doesnt sound like the best DI in the world but is useful as a backup.

Boss is a good standard tuning pedal but isnt as accurate as the peterson. Cheaper though.

Both are great, but the peterson is good for setting up intonation also.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boss TU-2 and no others.