1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie - Need pros/cons on 3 models!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sysmik, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Sysmik

Sysmik

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi,

I'm 37, been playing guitar for some times (Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's) and now I want to start Bass.

For my budget, I'm looking at 3 new models of Fender Precision Bass :

1- PBass Pawn shop Mustang (rosewood)
    2 - PBass American Special (Maple)
    3 - PBass Standard (MIM) (Maple)

So whats the pros/cons on these three models?

Thanks

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    pros: it's a Fender

cons: it's a Fender

3. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    Play all three and buy the one you like the best.

4. Sysmik

Sysmik

Mar 9, 2013
    Saddly, there's is no PS Mustang and American Special in the shop I visited. So it's gonna be an online ordering if it's not the Standard...

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Mustang is short scale. The 1 humbucker me thinks will sound like mud, though I never played one. Only thing I like about that bass is the way it looks. I also think it's way overpriced.

Standard P and American P IMO has most to do with luck of the draw (Fender isn't famous for it's quality control), and how much it matters to you to whether you're playing a Mexican, or American made bass. I had an American made P deluxe that was the most expensive piece of crap I ever owned, and I currently own a Mexican Jazz that will be with me the rest of my life. Been through lots of Fenders, and they really are hit or miss. Some get lucky first time out. Me and Fender don't get along as well as most.

6. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    One of these things is not like the other.

Joe beat me to it. The Mustang is 30" scale w/ a 1.5" nut width.

According to the Fender spec sheets, the American Standard & the Standard (MIM) have the same nut width (1.625"), neck profile, and fret size.

Best bet would be to try them out, weed out the dogs, and buy a gem. You'll find keepers among both the American Standards & the MIM Standards.

7. I had a 2010 Fender MIM P (with the spaghetti logo). It was a very nice instrument for $549.00 and I do prefer the newer ones rather than the older MIM's. There are some hits and misses though. Used they can be found for a good deal. I played an Am Special once at GC and it actually had a decent setup but the instrument didn't thrill me for the cash they were asking.

8. A deluxe p bass is my favorite fender bass. Best of the p and the J combined. If you don't want to spend a little extra on the deluxe the p standard is still a good bass. My first bass was a Mim standard p bass.

9. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The Pawn Shop Mustang in a heartbeat (most likely my next bass).

I seriously recommend a short-scale for guitarists starting out on bass. This one is the best that they have made.

10. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Actually, it sounds as the Mustang should of from the beginning.

The street price is acceptable given its level of fit and finish.

11. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Mustang

Pros:
    -Short scale makes it easier for guitarists to get the knack of.
    -Deeper sound
    -Reduced weight

Cons:
    -Reduced tension makes things feel "rubbery"
    -Don't expect much in the way of upper mid-range or highs

From what I can gather about the P basses, there's not much of a difference between them.

12. Sysmik

Sysmik

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks for the infos. So I end up ordering a Deluxe active P Bass Special Navy Blue Metallic. The store didn't have it in stock, but the ETA from Fender was 7 to 10 days. So I'm now waiting impatiently.

thanks again