Newbie needing 5 string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Intro2Pete, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Intro2Pete

Nov 11, 2003
    London, UK
    Hi all! I've been lurking about trying to pick up some tips from all the previous threads, doing my best to learn as much as possible before asking stooopid questions!

I'm currently a guitar player primarily (yes yes, I know) and play in quite a successful, yet unsigned, band from London, England.

I'm well into funky bass and now want to get a really nice 5 string to continue progress of my slap technique and general grooving, getting off my knackered Hohner Jazz!

Now, I work in a guitar shop, which means I get stuff at trade price! :D SOooooOOoooo I think I can narrow my choice down a little bit!

I'm mainly looking to play Jamiroqui style bass, learning more advanced slap along the way and also delving into more Jam-Band style music, so definitely want the versatility of a 5 String for the heavier rock moments. Id also like to do something more rock/progressive based once Im more skilled.

Now, I love the growl and gravel of the Jazz bass, so I'm thinking a Mexican Jazz V? However, I know that Yamaha's are amazing quality, so the alternative is a TRB5II. The TRB is def more money, and I definitely want something that will last well once I'm more skilled, even if it becomes a second bass. I fear the Mexican Fender may be a bit too low quality, and lacking the versatility of active pickups? the Yamaha really worth that much more? Will I still get the Jazz Bass growl that I love? I can't really afford a full USA Jazz V yet either.......

I've picked those two as I can buy them both nice and cheap through work! I also love the look of the MTD Kingston V too, and noticed it has some fans here.....but how does it rate compared to the two basses I mentioned above? Would it be worth me paying over the odds for a bass like the MTD from another shop, for a bass that I much prefer the look of over the Yamaha AND Fender? In other words, is it a patch on those two and even worth considering!

One thing that I think is quite important to me is balance of the guitar.......I hate the way my current cheapy Jazz is so neck heavy. Will a Jazz V be much the same?

Sorry to be long winded! I want to jump n with a quality guitar but not go mad with the money, so it has to be a lasting guitar and not leave me feeling I should have spent more!

2. you could get a Fender MIM Jazz deluxe V which adds the active pickups...
  3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
  4. Since you can get both basses from work..... I would suggest that you try them both out and, hear for yourself.

Can "YOU" get that growl you are looking for?

Trust your ears and technique.:D

5. Intro2Pete

Nov 11, 2003
    London, UK
    Yes, easier said than done. I should have said.....we don't stok a lot of basses and may, if I can't get my hands on them, have to trust the judgement to specs alone! I'm not too worried about buying a bass I've never touched, as anything is gona be better than what I've got, and both Yamaha and Fender are likely to supply a decnt setup working instrument!

Just wondered what peoples experiences of both instruments were really....anyone actuall OWN either of these?

I've been reading that the low B is a bit slack on a Fender Jazz V, plus it only has 20 frets. Nobody seems to really use Jazz V's in the public eye, yet Nick Fyfee from Jamiroqui actually uses a TRB bass similar to what I'm after.

6. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can only tell you about the mim Fender Active
    Deluxe Jazz Bass, as I have not played the Yamaha.
    I paid $475.00 for this Bass with deluxe gig bag.
    The Active circut works great,I can get snappy
    treble for slap & pop, and a nice deep tone
    for blues as well as a really good sound for Rock
    & Metal. When played with a pic, it sound's great also, set the EQ & tone at 12:00 and roll back to
    mostly Bridge pick-up and it has that great Jazz
    Bass tone.The Bass is fairly heavy, but while
    in the store I did compare it to a MIA 5 string Jazz, and The mim was lighter, the body is Alder
    the MIA I compared it to was a Sunburst,and I
    think they use ASH.The finger board is Pao Ferro
    wich I never had one before, but I really like it.
    I purchased this Bass in 1998 and I have not had
    any problems with it at all. I gig with it all
    the time, it is a workhorse.I wish they made a
    Fretless version I would buy one if they did.
    If you have any question's let me know.
  7. It was on the US model I've tried...

I'd go with the Yamaha. They make great stuff.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yamaha TRB's are amazing basses for the money. I don't think you could go wrong at all with one of these. I think you will find them to be a lot more versatile than a MIM standard Jazz bass.
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    IMO The Lakland Skyline 55-01 would be the best bass for your money... (Used of coarse) but It may be a little expensive... But if you can afford it IMHO THEY ARE THE BEST!

Good luck.