Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie needs advice - strings for Rockbass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rick1114, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Rick1114

Rick1114

Sep 23, 2004
    I've got TI Jazz Rounds currently but I am searching for an even smoother tone since I'm getting into finger funk. The Warwick Rockbass has a little growl to it and I'm finding I may not need roundwounds at all. I'm thinking about trying the TI flatwounds next time but wanted to know if there were any other options I should consider to get the finger funk tone I'm looking for! (Especially since the TI's are expensive and harder to obtain) Rotosounds are out of the question due to the high tension, this being a somewhat light bass - sure sounds good plugged in though! :bassist:

Any help would be appreciatted!
    Thanks,

Rick

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Why would you need low tension strings on a light bass? Your bass would be fine with rotosounds.

3. Rick1114

Rick1114

Sep 23, 2004
    The rotosounds were the first strings I tried on this bass actually. The neck on this Bass isn't that strong and I could sense that there was too much tension. After making countless neck & bridge adjustments there were one or two frets that would always buzz alot with the rotosounds (around 8th Fret), even though the rest of the frets did not buzz at all. This made me realize something was up. I then swithched to the TI Roundwounds which I like alot but thinking I'm want to go back to flats or something similar....

Any one have any good smooth finger funk style strings to recommend for a RockBass? The string search is turning out to be rather expensive!

-Rick

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Don't use them myself, but a lot of people seem to like the TI jazz flats.