Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie needs advise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamesbrown66, Mar 18, 2001.

1. ive been interested in buying a bass for some time now. Ive never played before and need advise as to what amp , bass, i should get as well as whats a good book and/or tape to get that shows the basics. I have 500 bucks to spend. Any ideas?? thanks

2. maybe a squire bass pack that comes with the bass and amp. but the amp is really crappy and the bass isn't that great either. you could go search for used stuff. Tell us what you find and we'll tell ya if ya have yourself a good deal or not.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, JB. Welcome to the board.

If you're just starting out, You don't really need anything really fancy. With $500, I'd recommend the Squier P-bass, which goes for about $200 and a Peavey Minx-110 as a combo. The total there would run you about $450. If you have a friend who's a more experienced player or if you have a favorite music store where you know and trust the salespeople, you could also look into getting a used bass, Maybe a Fender Jazz or Precision bass. The reason I'm encouraging you to look into Fenders is that they retain a higher resale value, so you'd get more money for it when you decided to upgrade.

Play as many instruments as you can, they all feel a little different.

When choosing a setup, you should always consider the instrument first and the amplification second. I do strongly recommend the Peavey combo, though. I own one. It's built like a tank and I've plaued all sorts of basses through it and was always pleased with its tone. Good luck and keep us posted.

Will C.:cool:

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    You cant beat the MIM P or J Fenders for the money.About 300 new.Look into Peavys smaller combo amps to spend the remaing 200.Good luck!

5. mayfairmistress0

mayfairmistress0

Oct 26, 2000
    pawn shops baby....

they normally have new no-name basses+amps for 200 for both.

what ever you dont get a squier.
    and dont get one of those crappy begginging basses either... start out with a full sized that way you dont have to wein yourself.

6. thumper

thumper Guest

You might want to look into a Dean. At Bob Fisher's Musictown here in Memphis, they stock a Dean for about $235 with two pickups, a nice neck, good feel and sound, and set up with GHS strings. A gig bag goes for about $20 and you can usually talk him into a strap and a cord free with the deal. There is a Crate BX15 for about $100 to $110. It sounds okay for a small amp, but it has an earphone jack and an external speaker jack and it will push an 8-10 (SVT) cabinet, because I have done it. Don't forget a decent electronic tuner.
    I know that this is in Memphis and you are probably aren't, but you might be able to find such a deal where you live or else call Bob at 1-800-557-7536 or his website at http://www.fishersmusictown.com.
    Lot's of luck.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let me also cast my vote for the MIM fenders - i've checked a few of them out and they are excellent for the money.

8. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    My first bass was an Ibanez GSR200 that I thought was decent. The salesman originally showed me a Fender Jazz (MIM, I assume), but it was $300 compared to $200 for the Ibanez, and I didn't really like the way the Jazz looked.

Knowing what I do know, I'd take the Jazz over the GSR200. That's not a knock on the GSR200, just that I like the shape of the Jazz now and since I know I'm going to keep playing, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money (and then there's the Jaco factor ;).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Joel

9. i just want to put in another vote for the fender MIM.

10. wow! you guys sure helped me alot. its good to know that there are people willing to help if your a newbie. if you have any other ideas they would be much appreciated.thanks

11. how are fernandes or dean guitars?? are they even worth looking at

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    MIM Fender + Small Peavey=what i should've did instead of my bxr 15 ;) Deans are in my opinion good depending on what model & the other variables. Thats all

13. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Ive got one now, and Im pretty pleased with it now, except for the fÜ**** buzz from the pickups.. I am looking into getting a new one though. Its a great first bass though

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Basic line is: what you like best. Don't be afraid to try out basses, even if someone says 'man they suck' - it's your call.

Also a good idea would be getting bass lessons, they are the best way to get you into business.

15. I've also just started out with bass and I love the squier bass I've got. I have the P-Bass Special (not the cheapest bass but the next one up) and it has a P-Bass pickup and a J-Bass pickup so I can get some pretty funky sounds out of it. I can't help with the amp, but I want to get a Trace Elliot Boxer 30 because they have good reviews everywhere I've looked and aren't too bad price wise. Hope this helps a bit. Go to www.squierguitars.com and look for the P-Bass Special (not the affinity P-Bass).

16. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Considering that, I believe trying basses won't help you much. If something's wrong with the bass, you'll probably won't feel it, or if you do, you probably won't be able to know what's wrong.
    Well, when I started playing bass, that's how I felt it.
    Maybe you could take some lessons (even from a bassist friend) before buying ?

17. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Danelectro makes a great practice amp: The Nifty Seventy. It runs for $150 US. They also have quality basses for the money... cheep! That's my suggestion if you'd prefer new equipment. Otherwise, check out used stuff at your local guitar dealers. In spite of the advice of some of our fellow players, I beleive that even a non-player can tell if an instrument is crap. So try out a few basses of various prices before choosing one.