1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie needs amp recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gilby82, May 29, 2012.

1. Gilby82

Gilby82

May 29, 2012
    Hello, I am Gilby an I am new to this forum. I have played guitar for nearly 18 years and want to start playing bass like a bassist, not a guitarist playing bass. Anyway, i have settled on playing a Squier P-bass for now, but I need help choosing an amp.

I play mostly classic rock, but I also enjoy playing funk and jazz. My main bass influences are David Brown from Santana, Doug Rauch (also Santana), Roger Waters (...really Dave Gilmour), Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham and Guy Pratt.

Since I will be following the same Hi-Fi approach to the bass as I do for guitar (I like to use effects), I need an extremely clean, linear, clear (read sterile) sound. Basically, the amp I choose would be solely to amplify the instrument, not create my sound as my sound will be from my fingers and effects. The amp would be solid state and must not supass the 500 dollar mark.

What amps do you recommend? Thanks for all input.

2. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Take your bass to the music stores and play through EVERYTHING. Only you will know what you like..

BTW, what have you been doing since GNR broke up?

3. Gilby82

Gilby82

May 29, 2012

lol. thanks man! Well, I just happen to like the older stuff better
    than most of the newer stuff. I was thinking of the new GC "Acoustic" amps. The sound I have in my head is like a Hiwatt, but solid state

4. You don't really need a bass amplifier if you want sterile amplification. You should get a power amp and some basic preamp with DI and line out like the sansamp BDDI. You need control of your DI to ensure your fx are in the mix.

That's at least $300 out of your budget, good luck finding a hifi cab for $200.