1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie Needs Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NewbyBassPlayer, Jun 15, 2005.

1. NewbyBassPlayer

NewbyBassPlayer

Jun 15, 2005
    Hello, all. I am new to the bass, only been playing about 8 months. I have gotten good enough to play in a band with some friends, and we get paid sometimes, but volunteer to play at charitable functions, nursing homes, etc. I am learning, but right now just do the alternating bass, along with some simple runs. I just purchased a Fender Deluxe American P-Bass, which I love. I am using just a cheapo no name amp that the band had when I started playing with them. I am looking at buying an amp in the future and need some opinions. I am not good enough to be comfortable playing in stores and trying out amps, so am relying on word of mouth. I had been considering the Fender 400 Pro combo, but have seen a lot of bad reviews regarding quality. I have a friend who says Gallien-Kreuger is a very good amp. I have been looking at the 800RB and maybe the GK 410 SBX cab. Any opinions on either of these. We play mostly oldies rock, 50's & 60's, and some country and southern gospel music. Thanks for helping a newbie. :bassist:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA