Newbie Needs an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swapmeet, Jul 18, 2001.

1. swapmeet

Jul 18, 2001
    Bothell, WA
    I am a beginning bass player and I am currently using an amp that my friend let me borrow. It puts out noise and that is about it. Could some of you suggest a decent combo amp to get in the $300-400 range. Also if you could tell me what is important to look for an amp?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, swap.

As for determining your needs, go to and click on the "Gear" link at the top of the page. Then scroll down a little and you'll see a link to an article titled "Bass Amp Basics." Read it for starters.

As far as what to look for, it's really "what to listen for." Simply whatever gets you the tone you like at the volume you need. IMO, don't consider any amp that has plastic on it, other than the knobs/switches.

Carvin has nice combo amps in your range at (they sell mail order only unless you live in S. California where they have stores). Ampeg, makes a cool amp in your range, the B50R. Be sure to take a look at the amps at ,too. These are all quality makes that have been around for a while.

If you have good music stores in your area, don't pass up looking at their used amps by any means.

Be sure to take YOUR bass to try out amps. Don't let a salesperson hand you some high-dollar bass that will probably have high output and great sound.
  3. swapmeet

Jul 18, 2001
    Bothell, WA
    Thanks for the help. I think I am going to go with Carvin, that way I can get more bang (or bass) for my buck.

Again thanks,

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're welcome, swap. Carvin is a very good amp to start with. You'll have something that is dependable and sounds very good......very good, not great. Two of my amps are Carvins. When some new amp comes out in about 3 years that I can't live without, I won't lose much money getting rid of my Carvins because they are moderately priced to begin with.

A lot of people are leery of Carvin because you can't try them out in the other 49 states, unless you know someone with one.
  5. Hey Swapmeet, welcome to talkbass. I have a Fender Bassman 60, 60watts and it sounds really good. It goes just about loud enough to jam with, unless you're playing with a berzerk drummer. I paid $400.00 bucks for it, which is the going price.

If you want twice the power in an amp that sounds
    just as good, if not better, check out the Ashdown
    Blue 130-115. It's got 130watts with one fifteen inch speaker, and I've played through it a few times. Sound wise, it's similar to Ampeg.(very good tone)

They've got them as an intro offer at for $399.00 They normally go for about $550.00 Believe me, this is a great deal. I haven't played through any Carvins, so I can't give an opinion.

Good luck, check out that Ashdown deal.
    Mike J.