Newbie needs cabinet selection advice (of course)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rich's_Alice, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I "should" only spend $300.00 on a cabinet. This is the group I found at GearTree

Hartke VX410
    Hartke 115 BXL
    Ashdown MAG 410T DEEP
    Peavey 115BVX BM

Also saw this at GC for $299.00: Behringer BA410

I also have access to a new SWR Goliath III for $400.00 (4 ohm) which is more than I "should" spend. However it seems like an extremely good price for that cabinet. Played it with a Squier Jazz Bass and an old 150 Watt SS amp. It actually had decent lows but the tweeter killed me. I couldn't get the mid punch I wanted to hear in the limited time I played through it, but I can't really blame that on the cabinet.

Last one is a used Ampeg classic 4x10 for sale locally for $375.00

I am using a Peavey Firebass 700 (700 @ 2 ohms, 475 @ 4 and 275 @ 8).

The priority is the most flexibility with this one cabinet. I guess I am most concerned about the low mids with a 4x10 and then sheer volume. The target style is pop rock and and blues in bar/club setting < 200 people. I have been away from this for too long to know from one sitting to know what I'll get once I get with the other players and some of these I may have to mail order, hence this post.

Thanks for the help. I know there are lots of options up there.
  2. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    The two cabs I could see myself buying are the Ashdown and the Peavey. They are very different sounding, and also you need to know that the Ashdown is 8 ohms, which mill mean less power from your amp.
    Anyway, these two are good cabinets :)
    The Goliath III is also very nice, but I'd actually rather have the Ashdown.

My 2c
  3. Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Strummer. I think I am leaning towards a 4 ohm even though it means less flexibility later to combine with other cabinets.

CAn you explain further about the two differences between the two you recommended?

4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd probably go Ashdown. I havent tried their cabs, but they have a good reputation with me, better than the other makes.
  5. Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Chaos.

The Ashdowns do get a great reception wherever I can read about them. The only "negative" I see to the MAG 410T is 8 ohms only. Although I think the 475 through 8 will be enough to do what I want to do. Man this is a tough decision.
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    You won't get 475. You'll get 275.

If I were you, I'd wait, save up some more money, and look in the 400-500$ range more seriously.
  7. Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Dan, you are correct. The waiting thing is not an option, unfortunately.
  8. My vote would be for the SWR. I played a festival with provided backline this past weekend, and had my first taste of the Goliath III... two of them stacked actually. I loved the sound of those things, and low-mid punch is definitely the tone I was getting out of them.
  9. Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Nicoli, I couldn't tell much with the equipment I was using when I tried it. I could tell that it was getting uncomfortably loud for the surroundings. One advantage to that one is the 4 ohm vs. 8. Helps me get a little more from the Amp.
  10. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    The Ashdown is a hard-hitting 4x10, with a great punch and midrange, and the bottom is tight. It works about as well as the Goliath III wit 5-strings, but it does not fill the low end like the peavey.
    The Peavey is has a rounder, fatter sound, and because there isn't a tweeter it'll cut the treble somewhat. Mostly finger squealing, though you'll also lose some "bite", or what you might call it. Also, the midrange has a more laid-back feel, whereas the Ashdown is more in your face.

And even though you *should* have a 4 ohm or less load to really get your amp going, I often use 250 W into one 12" and I hear myself fine.
    If you decide on the Ashdown you can always add another, or a 1x15 depending on your preferences. If you choose the Peavey, you can always get a 2x10 or 4x10 later...
    Choices, choices...
    But as I said earlier, I'd go for the Ashdown. Fine stuff, and it sounds good too :)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just purchase a SteelSound (now MSC) 212 for $180 shipped. It's 4 ohms, 1000 watts peak, heavy duty internal bracing, birch cab, 50lbs, and 100db efficiency.......basically a kick a** cab for the $$. I was skeptical @ first, but I heard it paired w/ a 210 at a concert and was floored. Great tone outta this little monster. I have a 210 paired with it and can hang anyone!

here's a link: