Newbie Needs Help!!! Advice for just beginner!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aggie_jason, Aug 29, 2004.

1. aggie_jason

Aug 24, 2004
    Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so it may need to be moved. Hey everyone! Well, I'm thinking about trying to learn how to play bass. I'll be 38 in a couple of weeks and I think it's about time! I played drums from Jr. High up until my early college days.

My influences are(in no particular order):
    Geddy Lee
    John Entwhistle(R.I.P.)
    Duck Dunn
    Mark King

I love Geddy and Entwhistle and I also like slappy, funky bass lines.

I need advice about gear, etc., etc. I love the looks of Warwick and Spector basses, but probably way overkill for a beginner and expensive(unless I picked up a good deal for a used one.) Rickenbackers and Laklands look cool too. :D

Any help and advice would be appreciated!
  2. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Ever tried a Fender Jazz bass?

It will give you that Geddy Lee and Funk & slap sound :)
  3. aggie_jason

Aug 24, 2004
    Well, as a matter of fact, I just finished watchin the "Rush In Rio" DVD for about the 50th time! :D Never gets old.

Forgot about Chris Squire and Nikki Sixx. So many awesome players.

The Fender would probably be a choice and wouldn't break the bank either.
  4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Rush in rio is amazing! :cool:

Yeah there is alot of great bassists out there. Of the ones you said i would go for a Jazz bass.

If you are on a budget, the Mexico made ones is to recommend. I have a Fender Precison bass that is mexico made and it's just amazing.
  5. aggie_jason

Aug 24, 2004
    What I find even more amazing is that the whole thing was shot without a sound and video check! I love the beginning of "One Little Victory" with the fire breathing dragon. :D
  6. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    That i didn't know! :cool:
  7. aggie_jason

Aug 24, 2004
    The Rio show was the last of the 3 they played in Brazil. The equipment trucks were late getting to the stadium and there wasn't enough time to do a sound or video check. Everything was done cold turkey! Although I don't think the sound was the greatest, it was pretty damn good all things considered. :D
  8. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    i definetely wouldn't start with a Warwick. Granted they are nice, they are pricey. Fenders are great starting instruments and conveniently enough, master instruments as well. Can't really go wrong there. Plus you can get a nice one for about $600, just look around. If you like the warwick look that much you can look at Rockbass, made by warwick. Same basic styles but about $2000 cheaper. Many people may suggest getting a really cheap instrument to start with but that's not how I went and suggest to others not to go. If your serious about learning you probably don't want to spend under like $300. Most basses at about this price up to about $500 will last a REALLY LONG time.