Newbie needs help/advice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TedD, Jun 2, 2005.

1. TedD

May 26, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have been playing DB for about a year now for a western swing band without any intentions of learning it seriously (I am a guitar player). I now intend to get relatively serious about learning and have recently acquired a bass (I was borrowing someone elses bass the first year). I bought a Kay S-1 for $1,000 and now have to:

1. Get it set up (get new pick-up and new bridge)

2. Decide what strings to use.

3. Find a teacher for a couple lessons/month (this will not be for a while as the bass purchase and the impending set-up has left me broke for a bit).

I'm interested in learning old and new jazz as well as dog-house/country style stuff (slapping etc... not sure about terminology at this point in the game).

Here are my questions:
    1. Do I get an adjustable bridge?
    2. I plan on getting the K&K pickup as well is this one the one to get?
    3. Anyone know any teachers and luthiers in Milwaukee proper?
    4. Did I get a good price for the bass (this one is just for my peace of mind)?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Congrats on the deal on the Kay. Considering they've been going for twice that on Ebay, that's a bargain.

1. Yes, an adjustable bridge is great. I would definitely get one.

2. I've been hearing a lot of things about K&K stuff having problems on except for the Big Twin. You should check into the Clef Revolution Solo instead. It's a simple bridge wing pickup that is very inexpensive, sounds great, and hardly ever feeds back. $99 at It's simple, doesn't need a preamp in most amps, and has gotten excellent reviews on here.

3. Don't know.

As for strings, I personally went with plain gut G, D, and A with a wound gut E because the plain gut E just makes a thump with no sustain at all and I like a little sustain. I went with plain guts for the rest because I like their full sound and lack of that metallic clankiness. If you're going to slap rockabilly, it's much easier on your fingers. And it sounds really nice for jazz pizz, too. Some people complain of bowing problems with guts, but if you don't plan on doing any, then I think guts are where it's at. If you want a little more of a metallic sound, then you could try Eurosonics or Innovations, which are rope steel covered in nylon.
  3. TedD

May 26, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the info :) , I'm going to go with the revolution solo for sure now.
    I have flat wound steel strings on there now and like the sound, how would gut or the Eurosonic strings affect the sound if at all?
  4. 1. I would also get the adjustable bridge. They are cheap and you can change depending on the mood you are in.

2. K&K (bass max) is a great pick-up for the money. However, you now have me looking into this revolution.

I will continue to say-get a stomp box eq (such as a dod) for extra control.

1K for a S1 sounds pretty darn good if its in average + shape.

Strings: Try a gut D & G with your existing steel E & A. I think you will like it for the style.