Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Needs Help Buying a New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lofi, May 24, 2004.

1. lofi

lofi

May 24, 2004
    Newbie to these boards, not to bass playing...

I will be doing lots of recording soon and am looking for a new bass since my old Fender P (as great as it has been over the years) is not cutting it anymore.

I'm looking for a 5-string, and main music played is rock, with influences and inspirations from Incubus, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Primus, Rush, King's X, and Pink Floyd.

I've been playing bass for 16 years, but have been on hiatus for about four, so I'm totally out of it when it comes to knowing what basses are currently good buys. BTW, I'm looking to spend around $700 - $800.

Thanks for the help!

2. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
  3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You should check out some of the Lakland Skylines. The 55-01 is a killer bass. It should be below your price range too. I would look into them.

4. lofi

lofi

May 24, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I just got back from playing a few 5-strings. One was a Warwick and the other was a Schecter Elite.

Both were great, but the Warwick was three times the price. The slight difference in tone is not worth it to me to pay $1600 instead of $600 for the Schecter.

I was really pleased with the look, feel, and tone of the Schecter.

Any thoughts?