Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie needs help deciding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 21, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Hi! I'm new to the board, just discovered it recently.

After a long hiatus from playing caused by having a toddler in the house, I've been playing my Steinberger XL-2 more and more recently, and while I love it dearly, I think it's high time I added another bass to the house. I've thought about a Music Man, and toyed with the idea of a Stingray 5-string, but it was uncomfortable -- I'm just a little befuddled by the low B string. I guess I'm just too used to a four-string.

However, what I'd REALLY like is a Jazz-type bass. Lately, I've been searching for a better-made Jazz bass, and I've found my dream ones. My wife's big annual bonus just came in, and I can probably talk her into letting me get something fairly nice. Here are my two leading options.

Option #1: Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn Signature:
    costs around the upper limit of what I could beg my wife to get me. I would probably get the sunburst finish, though I'm not crazy about the white pickguard.
    The Lakland Skyline 44-01 is in the running, as well. It has active pickups, though, and I'm leaning toward the classic Jazz sound of the Osborn.

Option #2: Sadowsky Metro (MS-4)
    HTML:
    http://www.sadowsky.com/stock_old/view/m113.html
    This bass is simply ridiculous. It's not only gorgeous, but with the Metro line, it's conceivable that I could actually get one. It would cost around $600 more than the Skyline JO. The pictured one is EXACTLY what I want.

Here's my dilemma. Do I go for the very nice Lakland bass, :cool: which I could get now, or do I embark on the long path of slowly wearing down my wife's resistance and hold out for the exceptional Sadowsky? She will no doubt get grumpy if I continually bring up the Sadowsky. In fact, she'll think I've gone off the deep end. However, she would probably eventually relent, and I'd be able to get one heck of a bass. :hyper: She's not gonna divorce me, I don't think. :D :p

Advice, anyone?