Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie needs help making an amp decision for smaller gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gasketmaster, Jun 4, 2004.

1. gasketmaster

gasketmaster

Jun 3, 2004
    Oregon
    Warning!!!! First Post :bag:

Hello,

I'm just starting out in my first band.We will be gigging in about 30 days.The drummer and lead guitarist have played out before but I have no experience.I'm just figuring out that I need a stage amp so I can hear myself play.I was piping thru the PA before but since we got our new mixing board I can't hear myself playing thru the monitor.The lead guitarist has his own stage amp and the drums are just plain loud :D

We will be micing our amps and the drum set and running them thru the mixing board.My question is.......how much amp do I need to play Classic Rock tunes at small parties,wedding receptions,out door get togethers,ect. when micing our amps?
    Can I get away with a smaller portable amp like the Fender Rumble 100,Bassmaster KM200,Workingman's 15 Combo,ect. or would my money be better spent buying a cheap used cabinet and head unit?
    I can always upgrade later.......I'm just looking for a good starting point :bassist:

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome :help:

Thanks!

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    What is your budget? Normally you can get by with a small combo if you have PA support but the loud drummer is going to cause a problem!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's always better to buy used if you want to maximize bang for the buck. Having more amp than you need NOW is better than having to lose money upgrading when you need more amp LATER.

I'd suggest either a used GK 400RB Head or a NEW Behringer BX3000T head ($200-250) and then a used cab in the $100-250 range (any number of 1-15 or 2-10 cabinets).

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hey bro....welcome to TB.

I would suggest you find yourself a nice combo that allows extension cabinets. If you are thinking about expanding down the road, you may want to seriously consider a power/pre rig. They give you the most options for upgrading later.

-Mike

5. gasketmaster

gasketmaster

Jun 3, 2004
    Oregon
    Around $300 - $500 would be nice ;)

6. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    $300-$500 range? you should BUY the new behringer bx300t, and a used bottom, whatever u can get with the change. you should be able to get a 4x10. you will be smokin' with that. thats what i use, and i keep up with my guitarist's 2 full marshall stacks nicely.