1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie needs some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trackskinz, Aug 22, 2012.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    I want a Fender, but I don't know enough about all the different models.
    I am partial to the P-bass low end, and I like flatwounds.

Looking at a Geddy Lee, and the various others. Is the higher price for the Americans worth it?

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    If you are new and money is tight check out Fender's Squier line of instruments. They are excellent instruments and come standard with Fender tone.

- Best of luck to ya.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    For me, the American Standard P-bass was worth the investment, but of course I'm biased. Mine just plays better than all the models I tried. Over the course of the time you have it, a few hundred extra dollars doesn't mean much at least to me.

Having said that, the best bass player I know (in the best local band I know of) has nothing but Fender Squier basses. He's modified the pups etc. but that's all he uses. He sounds fantastic.

So, as usual you have to make your own decision. If you want opinions, I think the American made basses are worth the extra money.

4. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Yo!
    I'm a newbie also and when testing fenders I found that American made vs MIM or MIJ sound just the same. Even some squiers I tested sounded good but TB experts kept saying the hardware and electronics aren't as good as fender so keep that in mind. But the TB community simply said "play every bass you can" and you'll find the bass you like. You'll know it by the feel and tone.

5. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    I found a deal on a pristine Geddy Lee.

I like flats, so I put a set of TI mediums on it. Still tweaking the tone, but so far I love it!

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

A Geddy huh? Very attractive bass.

Edit: I wish I could have had such a nice bass when I was a newbie!!

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    You done good! :cool:

Another sometimes overlooked advantage of American Fenders is resale value.

8. Haha, I just posted a paragraph about why you should look into Squier's.....nevermind. Nice choice on the Geddy. :D